3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

how do you eliminate the antifreeze smell in your ducts

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 11:30 AM
Buggsy
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can see what you're saying. I don't know how it's really set up, and I've never submerged my truck before.

If the lysol doesn't do the trick (probably the safer option), give the hose a try. I've washed my truck plenty of times, specifically rising that area thoroughly because I don't want to smell the soap for the next week, without any issues.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:24 PM
p38251
Record Breaker

I would have to agree w/Izero. The smell shouldn't last more then a day at most. sounds like your new core may have a leak.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:57 PM
Bigpoppaj

The Lysol trick works well I agree try it.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:12 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most common place for a leak is actually on those stupid effin' connector hoses/lines that go to and from the heater core... those damn things don't seal very well a lot of the time...

Old 11-07-2012, 07:48 PM
rlc4523

Originally Posted by Izero
then he shouldn't have a smell in there if he did it correctly. I've done 3 heater cores, two on GMCs and one on a Dodge Ram Diesel (2003 if I remember right), and the only time I messed up (first time I did it on a GMC Pickup) there was an antifreeze smell in the ducts.

That time the heater core worked great for a week and then crapped out.

Turned out I cracked it while putting it in, so it was a very slow drip into the ducts, but it was enough to make a horrible smell....

Only other way I can think of this happening is if the OP didn't clean out the old antifreeze that was prolly in the ducts before putting the new heater core in.
I didnt do the change out so I do't know exactly all thats been done I am guessing that the smell is from residual antifreeze and is what is causing the smell as my original core completely went out prior to it being changed.......I will try the Lysol trick but the more I have ran the truck the less the smell is. I was also told by another mechanic to use aresol cans of OZONE and spray the in-cabin filter all of the ducts and through the cowl a few times and cycle through all the vent settings.
Another trick I learned is to use distilled vinegar as a cleaner on all the windows to cut and clean off the film that is left over from the chemical "fog" from the antifreeze when the core went bad

Thanks for the suggestions from the folks that actually read my ENTIRE post

Old 11-08-2012, 01:19 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ozone works well, but I've never had a good experience with the canned Ozone... but I've gotten cigarette smells out of cars with an Ozone Generator before... most high-end detailing shops have one and a lot of them will rent it out to you for a day... All you need to do is plug it in to the cig. lighter turn it on, turn the truck on, close all the windows and BLAST the heat with the recirculation option turned ON, and let it run for like 6-8 hours.... (most only take 2-4 hours but the longer you do it the better the results)

Or you can just try and buy your own smaller unit and just run it anytime you drive your truck...

http://www.saleimports.com/produto.php?id=88136

Last edited by Izero; 11-08-2012 at 01:21 PM.

Quick Reply: how do you eliminate the antifreeze smell in your ducts