3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Blend doors failure common?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 07:21 AM
adgjqetuo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blend doors failure common?

Hi everyone,

I'm looking into possibly buying an 06 Laramie 2500. I checked the dual heat and it appeared to be working correctly. I know my 04 Jeep has major issues with the dual heat blend doors and its over $1,000 to repair.

My jeep has a digital automatic temp cluster where as the dodge it appears to be more manual with the two sliding bars (not sure if that matters). Anyway, are these prone to failure? Should I be concerned?

I'm trying to decide to buy it today or not so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-03-2012, 07:56 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Yep, prone BUT there are many DIY's with pics floating around. The actual parts are under $50. I'd be more concerned about the TIPM than the blend doors. 2006 had common directional failure when towing a load due to bad programming from factory. The towing circuit would trip the directionals and when that happens, the TIPM locks that circuit and shuts it off forever causing a new TIPM to be installed and programmed($800ish)
TIPM=Totally Integrated Power Module) It's an electronic fuse bbox under the hood next to the battery. There are computer boards in there that do all the electronic relay switching hence no mechanical relays at all on these trucks.
You can have the trucks programming checked by a dealer for $100 and reporgrammed if necessary.

Old 11-03-2012, 09:47 AM
adgjqetuo

So if I'm understanding you correctly - you recommend taking it to a dealer and having them reprogram the computer to fix this issue before it occurs?

Old 11-04-2012, 07:03 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

The only difference in the single and dual climate ductwork is that the dual system has two actuators motors and the single has one with a rod connecting the two doors.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:54 PM
adgjqetuo

Originally Posted by lxman1
The only difference in the single and dual climate ductwork is that the dual system has two actuators motors and the single has one with a rod connecting the two doors.
So the issue is just as common on the single zone as the dual zone systems? I know on the Jeeps the issue is always with the dual zones but almost never with the single zone.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:12 AM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by adgjqetuo
Hi everyone,

I'm looking into possibly buying an 06 Laramie 2500. I checked the dual heat and it appeared to be working correctly. I know my 04 Jeep has major issues with the dual heat blend doors and its over $1,000 to repair.

My jeep has a digital automatic temp cluster where as the dodge it appears to be more manual with the two sliding bars (not sure if that matters). Anyway, are these prone to failure? Should I be concerned?

I'm trying to decide to buy it today or not so any help would be greatly appreciated.

adgjqetuo,

This is not something I've heard of being common on the vehicle. If you have not done so yet, I would recommend having it looked at by a Dodge dealer. They can let you know if there are any outstanding recalls, issues or flash updates for this specific vehicle.

Quick Reply: Blend doors failure common?