3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

grease fittings?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2005, 11:32 PM
grayhemi
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default grease fittings?

I was changing the oil for the first time in my truck and didn't see anything that looked like grease fittings. Where I was expecting a fitting, it just looked like there was a bolt. Is it completely sealed up? My old truck had 'em everywhere. It would make me feel better being able to grease the thing, rather than knowing that the factory grease is slowly wearing out and there's nothing I can do about it.

Thanks

Old 09-06-2005, 12:07 AM
HemiBuell
Captain
Default RE: grease fittings?

A friend of mine wheels his Jeep pretty hard. He always says that parts without grease fittings are stronger. No stress concentration.

Also a grease fitting is a spot for grease to go in but also for water and dirt to go in.

I had a Thunderbird with no grease fittings. Sold it at 180K miles with the original front end components in it. All solid.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 09-06-2005, 01:14 AM
thump186
Record Breaker

Most oem manufacturuers are starting to go towards sealed ball joints, tie rod ends ect..... My guess is that witht he problems that DC was having with thier ball joints that they switched manufacturers and they are using the seadled unit for durablility reasons.

Old 09-06-2005, 01:31 AM
Avanti
Captain

Essentially, all gone... some time ago.

And, apart from competition where the issue of potential stress (like in U-joints) definitely represents a strength issue, it's too bad zerks are gone, IMHO! I've OLD vehicles with greaseable parts that last almost forever IF adequately cared for.

Aye, there is the rub; who really cares for much of anything any more? Maintenance is essentially a dirty word in our society! Oh yeah, and there are little neoprene caps for zerks that do not loose off that work quite well keeping out contaminates, thank you.

All the best.

Quick Reply: grease fittings?