3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

guy i bought my truck from put the wrong coolant in the truck dex cool?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 07:33 PM
swamper
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry guy i bought my truck from put the wrong coolant in the truck dex cool?

The guy I bought my truck from put that redish brownish coolant in it.I went to the parts store today and they told me its only for gm cars and trucks?.will this hurt my truck at all?im going to drian it out saterday but im wondering it it caused any kind of damage?I really didnt notice he put this type of coolant in till after i bought it,.I guess its called Dex-Cool antifreeze now im worried about the entire engine now unreal.unless theres a kind for our trucks but as far as I know there isnt.only the greenish kind.now i have a leak under the truck to i didnt find where the leaks coming from yet i can smell coolant coming out the heat vents.anyone?

Last edited by swamper; 12-28-2012 at 07:39 PM. Reason: wrong title
Old 12-28-2012, 07:40 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Yeah, likely wasnt the best idea the PO had but just drain, flush and refill with the right stuff.

Old 12-29-2012, 10:32 AM
scwpd
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thinks its GO5 coolant for the rams

Old 12-29-2012, 10:49 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

^^^ it could be. But when in doubt, change it out. IMO, when buying a used ride, you should go through everything with I fi e tooth comb and treat it like no maintenance has ever been done to it. That's the ONLY way for sure to know if it was done.

Old 12-29-2012, 12:51 PM
bwdakrt
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends on whether he flushed and refilled the system with Dex-Cool or he just added it to top off the system. If he added it to the green type antifreeze then you have a bad problem because it will turn into a 'mud' like substance and clog everything up.

The best advice has already been given...do a complete system flush and refill with the proper coolant.

Old 12-29-2012, 04:11 PM
swamper
Veteran

guess ill have to wait a day or so to drain it out were having a snow storm here today where I live but i will do a drain and flush on it once the weather clears up.thanks guys.

Old 12-29-2012, 09:13 PM
kenneymc
Veteran

Use the HOAT from the dealer or find some Zerex G05 from local parts store. G05 is a little cheaper.

Quick Reply: guy i bought my truck from put the wrong coolant in the truck dex cool?