3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hemi belt squeel help

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 07:54 PM
cuda1979
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hemi belt squeel help

04 RAM 80000 miles damn belt squell driving me nuts, new belt, tensioner , power steering pump all idler pulleys, alternator, will do fine for a while then it squeels like crazy more when its under a load , taken it into a shop they cant find anything, i will put a new belt on it will be fine for a week then starts squelling again, im about to blow the damn thing up no one knows what to do with it, need help.

Old 12-29-2012, 10:05 PM
loflyer2
Professional

Is the scribe mark on your tensioner between the I and the II? If it is at full travel then tensioner spring could be the problem. If not the tensioner then maybe a bearing in one of the components on the belt drive. You can isolate which one with a mechanic's stethoscope (very inexpensive).

Old 12-29-2012, 10:10 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

If the parts store has an expensive belt and a cheap belt....get the expensive belt. Check and see if the harmonic balancer is wobbling abnormally. Also check your fan clutch. Are there any wierd looking wear marks on the belt anywhere?? Eyeball it from the side and make sure you're not misaligned.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:04 AM
cuda1979

replaced tensioner yesterday its in the right position and i put on the best belt i could get , thinking i might get one from the dealership, i took it into a shop and they check the harmonic balancer for end play misalignment, all my problems started after i replaced factory belt and started using aftermarket parts

Old 12-30-2012, 01:20 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cuda. Try a gator back belt when this one dies. Also, remove the new belt, clean all the pulleys with brake cleaner---non chlorinated (green can usually). Don't spray the belt. Wipe off pulley surfaces with a clean rag, spray down again until pulley groove surfaces are clean. Re-install the belt.
I've used gator backs for years and they really seem to hold up. I'm on my 3rd belt in near 180K miles, and second set of idlers, tensioner is original.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:31 PM
cuda1979

where do you get a goodyear gatorback no one around hear sells goodyear belts

Old 12-31-2012, 08:57 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

rockauto.com I just looked it up

Old 01-02-2013, 03:51 AM
sabin420
Captain

Also, try spraying some belt dressing on it while the truck is running. But anyways, something is wrong. Try taking your belt off and spinning each individual component the belt rides around. All of them (except the crank pulley) should spin freely and easily.

The squeal could be one of these things:

Bearings in the Alternator : No resistance when spinning alternator pulley
Power steering pump : Some resistance normal, but should be smooth.
Idler pulleys : should spin freely all the time
Tensioner pulley : should spin freely
A/C compressor : should spin freely when clutch disengaged
water pump: should spin freely

I've had an Idler pulley squeal on me. I would take the belt off and spin the pulleys and it would spin freely, once it got some side load, it would quit spinning freely and had a rough spot when I would turn it while giving it a side load.

Quick Reply: Hemi belt squeel help