3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

explain to me the Integrated power control module and front control module

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 11:12 AM
lortech
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default explain to me the Integrated power control module and front control module

The subject vehicle is a 2006 Dodge ram 2500 diesel. The passanger lower headlight beam is not working. We swapped bulbs and so far no go. I tested the ground "black center wire connector" to ground with dmm, 0 ohms.

I went to power up the headlight with my snapon solus pro scanner. The solus pro will not power up the low beam head light.

I opened up what should be the integrated power control module "fuse box" in front of the drivers side battery. What I want to know is, where is 90% of all the relays??? I only see two or three relays.

Is the FCM or front control module, in the metal chassis box, compose of all the relays and the computer board? Does L44 wire goto the the FCM or the Integrated Power Control Module? Want to test that wire before condeming/repairing it, or the FCM or the IPCM.

Thanks much!

Old 01-01-2013, 02:13 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ahhhhh Yes. The "TIPM" started being used in 2006, which is also when the canbus protocol started being used. Essentially, almost all the relays are electronic, and load current sensing to boot. I would definitely check to see if there is a TSB for the light problem----I'm fairly sure someone else will chime in and elaborate on the TIPM issues----you aren't alone here.

My 2005 has an FCM which is loaded with relays and fuses.

Old 01-01-2013, 07:14 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

TIPM uses Transistors for switching current. It's an electronics board in there.
If there is a problem with the circuit and an active DTC code, then that circuit will remain powered off until the problem is fixed. 9 X's out of 10, the TIPM module needs to be replaced. That is an $800 item for your 2006. It is something the dealer needs to program and Configure so you cannot do that yourself. You need a Starscan tool with the software to do that.
The TIPM shuts down any problematic circuit FOREVER. Yeah, rather than a mechanical relay needing a replacement, they decided to use one time transistor chips that lock into a fixed off position. This makes customers buy a whole new Fuse panel box(TIPM) to reserect that circuit.
If I was you, I'd wire up my own circuit to run the headlights.
You can take the pass side feed and use that as an activation wire to feed a mechanical relay theat draws power directly from the battery. Feed both the lights and wahlah. 2 working headlights. Now, you'll need a 50w 6Ohm resistor to act as a headlight bulb on the pass side so that circuit doesnt get turned off by the computer.

I do know that the power feeds from the headlight connectors should read 5Ohms. The ground is a switched ground as well. You should be receiving conductivity from the hot side of the plug as well.

Quick Reply: explain to me the Integrated power control module and front control module