3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

whats that noise!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 08:33 PM
bowguy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats that noise!

hey guys i just bought an 07 dodge 2500 hemi and im having trouble. when slowing down i get a rubbing/humming/grinding noise at about 23 KM an hr. i can hear it at 18-30 Km an hr but its loudest at 23ish. braking does not effect the noise and i hardly hear it while accelerating at those speeds (possibly being drowned out by the exhaust). the noise is not consistent it fluctuates like something to do with something that is rotating. definitely sounds like something is rubbing. its low deep rumble and i cant place where its coming from. any help would be treaty appreciated!

Old 01-03-2013, 09:01 AM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bowguy
hey guys i just bought an 07 dodge 2500 hemi and im having trouble. when slowing down i get a rubbing/humming/grinding noise at about 23 KM an hr. i can hear it at 18-30 Km an hr but its loudest at 23ish. braking does not effect the noise and i hardly hear it while accelerating at those speeds (possibly being drowned out by the exhaust). the noise is not consistent it fluctuates like something to do with something that is rotating. definitely sounds like something is rubbing. its low deep rumble and i cant place where its coming from. any help would be treaty appreciated!

Bowguy,

Congratulations on your purchase. Have you confirmed if there are any outstanding recalls on your vehicle which may be causing your concern. You can PM me your VIN# and I can look into it for you or you can visit:

www.dodge.ca
Select “Vehicle Brand”
Select “Owners” at the bottom
Select “Vehicle Recall Inquiry”
Select a brand and “View …Recall Notices”
Select “Get Recall Information”
Enter last 8 characters of the vehicle identification number (VIN) in the
space provide and Select “GO”.
“Here are your results”

It will list the vehicle with the complete VIN, a verbal description of the vehicle and recall, if any apply.

If you have any inquiries feel free to PM me!

Old 01-03-2013, 01:02 PM
p38251
Record Breaker

My first though is hub bearing. Jack the front, push/pull on the top and bottom of the tire. you may also be able to hear it if you rotate the tire.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:17 PM
bowguy

that was the first thing i did and nothing. the brakes looked good also. im wondering at tranny or transfer case? differential? the noise is getting worse everyday

Old 01-04-2013, 12:28 AM
sabin420
Captain

Parking brake pads maybe? can you tell if it is from the front or rear? Take your tires off and check around any rotating parts for wear marks. Check the whole suspension and everything. If it's making a grinding noise, their will be visible evidence. Look around for a fine silver powder coating parts and stuff like that.

Old 03-19-2013, 03:44 PM
nepo313

Originally Posted by bowguy
that was the first thing i did and nothing. the brakes looked good also. im wondering at tranny or transfer case? differential? the noise is getting worse everyday
I've started noticing the same problem after using my 4x4 option these past few months. It would "rub" louder during lower speeds when i'm in 2x4 mode SOMETIMES. I wouldn't notice it at higher speeds. And now it has been more frequent these past few weeks. Plus, I've noticed a drop in my mpg.

Come to think of it, I don't think I notice the rubbing when in 4x4 mode. I will test it out to make sure when I return back home from work today.

I'm sure my 4x4 is disengaged and it doesn't sound like a hub bearing issue (as I know how those sound from my previous vehicle).

Hope someone can shine some light on this.

Quick Reply: whats that noise!