3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Coolant smell when using heater.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 05:04 AM
swamper
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Coolant smell when using heater.

I can smell coolant when I turn on my heater im guessing the heater core has a leak but I dont see any leaks.I had a coolant leak the other day but it was a bad radiator hose so i bought a new one and that leak is gone now.where would the heater core be leaking in the cab? cause theres no leak in the cab.how much does a new heater core cost and how hard is it to change?and where is it located?thanks

Last edited by swamper; 01-03-2013 at 05:07 AM.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:02 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Def soounds like a leaky heatercore.
If I'm not mistaken, there is a shroud that covers the heater core up that can actually trap fluid until there becomes too much and it begins to leak onto and underneath carpet.
Heater core isnt expensive, maybe $75 but it's Labor intensive. The entire dash and heater box assembly needs to come out to get to it! Book time is like 8hrs for experienced mechanics.
If you look from the engine bay on the firewall, you can see the coolant lines going into the firewall onthe pass side. Those are the heater core legs. The body of it is on the inside of the firewall there.
I would highly reccomend replacing your blend doors in your heater box while you have it apart. Those always go bad.($10 items)

Old 01-04-2013, 01:03 AM
sabin420
Captain

Dirtydog is right...Heater core is the only possible cause.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:51 AM
GRNDPNDR
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd like to know about this myself.

I have a coolant leak somewhere, and only at random times do I smell coolant from my vents. It isn't often, but I don't know where my coolant is going.

I still suspect a head gasket because I can NOT find any leak, my carpets aren't wet from coolant, and when I start the truck I get smoke from the tailpipe.

However this tailpipe smoke doesn't smell like coolant at all. I've added dye to the coolant but I'll be damned if I can see it anywhere, and I've got a pretty powerful UV light.

Last edited by GRNDPNDR; 01-04-2013 at 08:55 AM.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:28 PM
metaldad
Professional

Originally Posted by dirtydog
Def soounds like a leaky heatercore.
If I'm not mistaken, there is a shroud that covers the heater core up that can actually trap fluid until there becomes too much and it begins to leak onto and underneath carpet.
Heater core isnt expensive, maybe $75 but it's Labor intensive. The entire dash and heater box assembly needs to come out to get to it! Book time is like 8hrs for experienced mechanics.
If you look from the engine bay on the firewall, you can see the coolant lines going into the firewall onthe pass side. Those are the heater core legs. The body of it is on the inside of the firewall there.
I would highly reccomend replacing your blend doors in your heater box while you have it apart. Those always go bad.($10 items)
Wouldn't it be nice if mopar punched a bigger slot on the firewall, used a gasketed cover, to allow the core to be removed from the engine bay?

Old 01-04-2013, 08:30 PM
metaldad
Professional

Originally Posted by GRNDPNDR
I'd like to know about this myself.

I have a coolant leak somewhere, and only at random times do I smell coolant from my vents. It isn't often, but I don't know where my coolant is going.

I still suspect a head gasket because I can NOT find any leak, my carpets aren't wet from coolant, and when I start the truck I get smoke from the tailpipe.

However this tailpipe smoke doesn't smell like coolant at all. I've added dye to the coolant but I'll be damned if I can see it anywhere, and I've got a pretty powerful UV light.
Only way to get glycol smell out of the vents is A), drawing the smell from the engine bay thru the fresh air opening, or B) a leaking core.

Old 01-05-2013, 09:06 AM
GRNDPNDR
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by metaldad
Only way to get glycol smell out of the vents is A), drawing the smell from the engine bay thru the fresh air opening, or B) a leaking core.
I'm personally leaning towards the smell coming from the engine bay through the fresh air vents since it isn't happening all the time.

That still leaves me confused as to where the bloody leak is. The only place I've seen dye/fluid is from the overflow hose on the tank. But I don't think the overflow would be dumping +/-2L of coolant every couple of weeks.

Are there "common" places that coolant would leak from that my lack of experience on Dodges would cause me to overlook?

I can't really get underneath it as it's now officially winter here, but maybe we can help everyone here by identifying such areas?

Old 01-05-2013, 11:11 AM
bigdaddyII
Captain

When my degas bottle was cracked I could definitely smell it in the cab of the truck, especially coupled with hard acceleration.

The real concern is why its continuously leaking out of the overflow tube. My truck started doing that after I replaced the leaking degas bottle, and it was indeed a fubar head gasket pushing exhaust through the cooling system. The smoke out the exhaust came shortly after.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:01 AM
metaldad
Professional

That is interesting.
A head gasket failure, pressurizing the coolant circuit with exhaust gasses.
Thinking about, yep, that is possible.
Sooooo........... on that thought. When the engine is off. No exhaust. Pressure then will be higher in the cooling circuit. Reverse flow - then? Coolant into the block?

Old 01-07-2013, 12:07 AM
swamper
Veteran

my trucks now leaking coolant out of the overflow tube from the coolant reservoir why whould that be leaking?would that have to do with the heater core or no?

Quick Reply: Coolant smell when using heater.