3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

front end locking up when in 4WD

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 12:42 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dakotatrevor
Its not so much side to side difference, as it is front to back. When you turn in 2wd, your outside front wheel is taking a longer path than the inside, but because it is an open differential, it can 'slip'. When you drive the axle it still doesn't matter, it's still open. In the rear, there is still allowance for slip, even with a limited slip, within the differential. Same idea as the front. Now when you're in 4x4, you have essentially locked one of the front wheels, and one of the rear wheels (with the other 'kinda' locked to it) together. That one front and one rear wheel are turning at different speeds when you turn, giving you the binding.

True but we're not going to over-complicate it... lol

Old 01-04-2013, 03:00 PM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Chase Lejeune
so, i just got my 2005 1500 4x4 and i haven't completely read up on it yet. also, this is my first 4-wheel drive vehicle.

but anyway, i had it in 4wd today and during a U-turn, it felt like the front end was locking up. im assuming this might be because of a limited slip differential in the front? or not, i honestly have no clue. just looking for some input.

Chase,

Do you know if the vehicle has a part or full time transfer case? In 4HI the front and rear driveshafts lock together and forces the front and rear wheels to rotate at the same speed. This feature is used for additional traction for loose, slippery road surfaces only, for example, loose gravel, snow and ice.

If the transfer case is in the 4 wheel drive mode, outside of these conditions, it may cause improper operation such as jumping or shuddering when turning.

More information on 4X4 operation can be found in your Owner's Manual, starting on page 241.

If you feel this condition is not normal I would suggest contacting a Dodge dealer for additional assistance.

Old 01-04-2013, 03:17 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

4wd is for Snow covered roads and soft sand/dirt ONLY!!! If there's ANY pavement showing, you should not use 4wd unless it's wet and slick. If it's not slick, the smallest tire binds against the tallest tire. Thsi is why you need 4 matching tires for 4wd vehicles.

I bought a Blazer last month. Guy said it binded up real bad on pavement. I knew right away what happened.
I test drove it, bought it and re-sold it within a week for a $1k profit.
Obviously the seller did not realize you CANNOT use 4wd on dry pavement.

Take an ATV and make a turn on grass. You'll tear up the grass real bad with the inside tire. That is because the inside tire must spin the same speed as the outer tire.
This is what happens on our trucks.

Quick Reply: front end locking up when in 4WD