3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Just scheduled my Req'd Lifetime Powertrain Warranty Inspection. Are you DUE?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 03:08 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Just scheduled my Req'd Lifetime Powertrain Warranty Inspection. Are you DUE?

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up that they MUST perform the ridiculous inspection for the Warranty to be honored.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...rtrain-99.html

60 days prior-60 days after purchase, every 5yrs as required by Chrysler.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2008 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC purchased in March 2008 and I scheduled my inspection for Feb 15th @10am. I expect them to give me a hard time about my JBA 50state Smog legal Shorty Headers. We shall see how it goes.

I just hit 12kmi today...lol

Old 01-04-2013, 03:32 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NO! But thanks for asking-------mine ran out 76 thousand miles ago!

Old 01-04-2013, 11:02 PM
ilducecorvo88
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is it only if you're the original owner? When I bought mine 2 weeks ago, they said the factory warranty had run out so I bought a 2-year powertrain warranty.

Old 01-05-2013, 02:16 AM
JSTMoto
Veteran

Yep, the lifetime warranty they offered didn't transfer to new owners.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:43 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by JSTMoto
Yep, the lifetime warranty they offered didn't transfer to new owners.

This is correct. Lifetime was for first owners only.

Old 02-15-2013, 11:48 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

Well, I got the inspection done today. The mechanic had a bad attitude to start with. I told him no car wash(because they use those brushes that touch the sides) and I didn't need/want their 25pt inspection and he seemed to not like that. whatever.
When he finished he said he almost failed me because of my CAI. IF I had altered the airbox in ANYWAY he would have failed me. He said my airaid intake tube and drop in K&N were fine, but if I had installed or altered my stock airbox I would have failed. I almost drilled holes in it too..phew... He didnt say anything about my JBA shorties that are 50-state smog legal.
In the end I passed and he seemed to have lightened up his attitude a bit. Prob because he realized that my 2008 only had 12.3kmi on it, not that should even matter.

Just a heads up for anyone left out there...put your stock airbox back on for the inspection.

Old 02-15-2013, 05:12 PM
coloram14er
Rookie

From Flowmaster's website:
"The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act was created in 1975 to protect consumers from invalid denial of warranty claims. Under the provisions of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, an automotive dealership/carmaker cannot void your warranty simply because your vehicle has been modified with aftermarket parts. They (the manufacturers) have to prove that the failure was the direct result of the installed aftermarket part."

I'm no lawyer, but looks to me like he couldn't legally fail you for the CAI even if he wanted to.

Old 02-15-2013, 06:27 PM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

IIRC, there is wording in the warranty contract that prohibit specific modifications... and it's left pretty ambiguous and open ended to the dealer's benefit as to what to enforce. This discussion has been had on here before, and it doesn't fall under the Magnuson-Moss Act, if memory serves. However, what it DOES come down to is how much time, money and willpower one has to fight a denied claim.

Old 02-16-2013, 08:36 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by coloram14er
From Flowmaster's website:
"The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act was created in 1975 to protect consumers from invalid denial of warranty claims. Under the provisions of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, an automotive dealership/carmaker cannot void your warranty simply because your vehicle has been modified with aftermarket parts. They (the manufacturers) have to prove that the failure was the direct result of the installed aftermarket part."

I'm no lawyer, but looks to me like he couldn't legally fail you for the CAI even if he wanted to
Originally Posted by Chet Ubetcha
IIRC, there is wording in the warranty contract that prohibit specific modifications... and it's left pretty ambiguous and open ended to the dealer's benefit as to what to enforce. This discussion has been had on here before, and it doesn't fall under the Magnuson-Moss Act, if memory serves. However, what it DOES come down to is how much time, money and willpower one has to fight a denied claim.
^^Exactly.

When I spoke with the Mechanic, I said the main reason I didnt install and aftermarket airbox or cut holes in the bottom of mine is because of water and puddles. He shook his head yes and said that is exactly why we fail those vehicles. Anything more than a brief mist can damage the engine given enough time.
You'd have to submerge the front end of a stock truck up to the headlights before the stock airbox sucks up water. Many aftermarkets will suck up water with a splash.

Also, Many of those CAI are "for offroad use only" and are not compliant. Need to make sure they are compliant before fighting that MM Act, which again is why I went with the JBA shorty headers vs other brands.

Old 02-16-2013, 10:35 AM
omextreme
Rookie

My 08 is due in Dec... 332k miles and climbing... Dont want to loose the warranty.

Quick Reply: Just scheduled my Req'd Lifetime Powertrain Warranty Inspection. Are you DUE?