3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New to forum! Curiouse about washing engine bay in my dodge

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 02:54 PM
Nh1095mann
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay I think I'll take precautions with the intake electrical and fuse box will get covered up and anything else I see might need it thanks for the help

Old 01-06-2013, 05:24 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I wash mine all the time. I use Purple Power mixed 50/50 with water and spray everything off. After it is dry I come back with any tire shine and spray everything and wipe off the excess.

Old 01-06-2013, 06:27 PM
Plainbroke
Veteran

Oven cleaner is cheap and works great too. My theory is there is a lot of water gets up under the hood during driving in the rain.. so all that stuff had better be water proof or these trucks are useless in the rain or snow for that matter..

Old 01-06-2013, 06:46 PM
Nh1095mann
Amateur

Originally Posted by Plainbroke
Oven cleaner is cheap and works great too. My theory is there is a lot of water gets up under the hood during driving in the rain.. so all that stuff had better be water proof or these trucks are useless in the rain or snow for that matter..
True! Maybe ill just hit it with a water hose and not pressure

Old 01-06-2013, 09:00 PM
GRNDPNDR
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Purple power is awesome!!! Oven cleaner I would NOT use, Sodium Hydroxide has a tendency to eat metals and pit aluminum badly, it works even better on hot surfaces..... Like an engine with aluminum heads.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:50 PM
redram2007
Veteran

The last time i washed mine i had water leak down into my spark plug/coil holes and i drove to work the next morning and it was missing like hell. So i just pulled them all out dried and cleaned up the plugs and everything was fine. Thats the only thing stopping me from doing it again.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:29 AM
Nh1095mann
Amateur

Originally Posted by redram2007
The last time i washed mine i had water leak down into my spark plug/coil holes and i drove to work the next morning and it was missing like hell. So i just pulled them all out dried and cleaned up the plugs and everything was fine. Thats the only thing stopping me from doing it again.
That there is my only fear! Just require
More work to do at least it was nothing bad but there a pain to get to in the first place

Old 01-08-2013, 04:45 PM
Wanderer
Veteran

Cover the alternator. After washing the engine with simple green at 57K, the bearing went out in the alternator.

Old 01-10-2013, 03:55 PM
baileysoffroad
Veteran

Originally Posted by GRNDPNDR
Gunk Engine Bright is some great stuff for cleaning engines.

I sprayed EVERYTHING in there, and that car never failed to start or even had any issues.

However the computer wasn't in the engine bay on a Cougar, so there are things to be careful of with these trucks, but the point I'm trying to make here is that as long as the engine is in good shape you shouldn't have to worry too much.

I would avoid the fusebox, computers and probably the intake but hit everything else.

While most have probably gotten away with spraying around at everything its not something you want to direct someone to do...the old...do as i say not as i do thing....

Hate for someone to read "oh yeah spray everything and dont worry about it" and then fry something and be up **** creek.

I like to take a more affectionate approach....a lot of time and a rag an tooth brush or stiff bristle brush and a good cleaner or just some dishsoap an water.

This way you avoid wetting what you dont want wet.

On the armor all thing...i like Tire Wet...think its by black magic...ive used that on lots of plastics and it looks good..i know armor all has certain warnings for use on certain things....

Old 01-10-2013, 05:10 PM
Texas 4.7 RAM

I pressure wash mine all the time....but I can see the fuse box as being a weakness for future corrosion, so if you bagged it or don't hit it directly, you should be fine. Just stay back a ways and you won't hit anything very hard, but will work well with a pre soak...

Look at it this way; how do you think all that mud got there in the first place? it was sprayed on! Look under the hood after driving 20 miles in pouring rain...

Quick Reply: New to forum! Curiouse about washing engine bay in my dodge