3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New to forum! Curiouse about washing engine bay in my dodge

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 12:40 AM
Nh1095mann
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to forum! Curiouse about washing engine bay in my dodge

Hello I'm new here I have a 2003 dodge ram 1500 5.7 quad cab lifted and some more goodies. Anyways it's been really muddy out here and wet that my engine is pretty dirty looking. I might have been mislead but I heard something about if I'm gonna wash the engine there is some kind of sensor I can not get wet because it will cause the check engine to come on. Is this true? Also are there any tips to washing it maybe stuff I should cover? Thanks look forward to all help.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:56 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
Old 01-05-2013, 11:36 PM
vietti
Amateur

dont to it 2003 and 2004 5.7's get water in the fuse box and it corrodes the circuit board inside.

Old 01-06-2013, 12:08 AM
SC_Ram
Rookie

I've considered this myself but I'm not sure I wanna do it.I'd rather take my time with some Armor All and do the best I can as opposed to wetting down the engine and risk a meltdown of sensors and other stuff.I feel like if detailers do it for the sellers,then why can't I? But then they do it all day long and got it down to a science.I might not be so lucky.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:52 AM
Nh1095mann
Amateur

Oh okay I see. Maybe I won't thanks

Old 01-06-2013, 02:01 AM
JaegeRam

I do mine (5.2) once every two weeks. I always leave it running and just aim sprayer at the cowl, radiator support, and the wheel wells. And BTW that sure is a dirty engine.

Old 01-06-2013, 03:16 AM
Nh1095mann
Amateur

Originally Posted by JaegeRam
I do mine (5.2) once every two weeks. I always leave it running and just aim sprayer at the cowl, radiator support, and the wheel wells. And BTW that sure is a dirty engine.
I know that is why I wanna wash it but I sure don't wanna short anything or get water in the wrong spots

Old 01-06-2013, 08:21 AM
SC_Ram
Rookie

This was my plan.Take some precautions first.I would use blue painters tape and cover over all my exposed sensors the best I could.DEFINITELY put something in front of the computer module wires that is non absorbant or even cover them with a small plastic bag.Spray it down with some degreaser/cleaner from AZ or AA and let it sit for a few.When you're ready to rinse it,make sure the truck is RUNNING.That way you'll know when you're done it'll start right back up again.I still ain't sure I'm gonna do this but if I do,that'll be how I tackle it.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:23 AM
GRNDPNDR
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gunk Engine Bright is some great stuff for cleaning engines.

I used to use it frequently to clean the engine bay in my 1996 Cougar, and everyone on the message boards would say the same thing about those cars.

Cover things with plastic bags, don't spray this or that.....

I sprayed EVERYTHING in there, and that car never failed to start or even had any issues.

However the computer wasn't in the engine bay on a Cougar, so there are things to be careful of with these trucks, but the point I'm trying to make here is that as long as the engine is in good shape you shouldn't have to worry too much.

I would avoid the fusebox, computers and probably the intake but hit everything else.

Old 01-06-2013, 11:40 AM
Chase Lejeune
Rookie

used to have a '96 ram and after a long day of mudding, my engine would be COATED in dirt. i just waited for her to cool down after I got home and spray it down with the hose. i probably did it 30 or 40 times and never had any problems.

Quick Reply: New to forum! Curiouse about washing engine bay in my dodge