3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dreaded Paint Bubble

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 02:33 PM
Nate_sorenson
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vietti
That’s not a normal problem . normal paint peels with age because government regulations only allow 1mil of clear and in time if not waxed frequently and or is exposed to the sun a lot,, paint becomes too thin to adhere.. it peels. is that what it looks like its doing? Sound to me like the fender has been repainted and some holes were filled with bondo and not welded closed first..
Do you see any sanding marks in the paint were it would have sucked in after being repainted?
can you take a picture of it i can see better? up close
I have been painting cars professionally for 20 years.
Umm its normal, it happens to all the bedsides on these rams due to the inner arch that's spotwelded in. 9 out of 10 times you can pop the bubble, ant take material off and there will be the corrosion source, water being held in by that arch...

Old 01-09-2013, 10:07 AM
AngelaC
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took it to the auto body place he said probably around $600 to fix it without a new panel that would be more, he also said to leave it and when it gets really bad he can cut away at it or whatever and then put the fender flares to hide it. So I guess this is my trucks first step to becoming a real truck maybe?

Old 01-09-2013, 10:14 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

$600 is pretty accurate for Silver & Grey vehicles... Silver and Grey never blends very well in all honesty...

Quick Reply: Dreaded Paint Bubble