3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

bad vibration

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 05:56 PM
chrisv
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy bad vibration

I have searched the forum and not found exactly what my issues are and hope maybe someone can lead me in the correct direction. I have a 2006 2-wd hemi quad cab with the 20" wheels. I recently did a front brake job. I thought it would also be a good time to rotate the tires. The wheels were extremely difficult to get off, (ie: stuck to the rotors.) I had to sit down on the ground and give full force kicks to either side several times to get them off. That all done took the truck on a test drive and at slower speeds everything felt great. The next morning I got on the freeway got up to about 61 mph and it just about shook my teeth loose. took it home and reversed my tire rotation back to there original spots, still a terrible shake,vibration from 61-65 mph. have had the tires balanced 3 times by different shops. No luck vibration still there. Any help, can't afford to just throw $$ at it. u-joints seem tight, newer shocks, all suspension components are tight. You can literally see the bed bounce up/down at those speeds. Thanks

Old 01-09-2013, 07:20 PM
p38251
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the shake is in the wheel I'd say your front rotors a warped, or they were not turned correctly during the brake job. Take it back!!!

Old 01-09-2013, 07:31 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker

Pull each of the wheels and check to ensure the face and hub of the rotor and corresponding areas on each wheel are totally clean and corrosion free. Sounds like you may not be fully seating thewheels to the rotors, then torque them down to spec using at least 2 steps.

Old 01-10-2013, 05:15 PM
chrisv

The vibration isn't felt in the steering wheel. It seems to be coming from the rear. Will check the wheels and rotor mating surface. Thanks, any other ideas out there are much welcomed!!

Old 01-10-2013, 05:31 PM
66three83
Captain
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I agree with Gone Fishin. You must have some corrosion that is keeping the wheel from mating with the rotor.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:39 PM
Plainbroke
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Put your spare on one side on the rear and go for a drive then on the other side if that does not find the problem it is not wheels and tires. I would think three shops mounting and balance at least one would have gotten the wheels back on right and tightened to spec.. Did you do the brakes on the back too or check them at least?
If so pull the wheels and the calipers again and remove the rotors and see if one of them is not seated fully you can also just jack the rear of the truck up put on jack stands and put it in gear at idle you will be able to see side to side movement and usually up and down of the tire if it has broken belts.. Just a few Ideas thrown out.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:43 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am going to have to assume one of the following is what is going on:

1) Broken Tire Belt(s) - Try swapping the rear tires to the front to confirm the problem carries to the front, then you know the problem is with the tire/wheel and not something else.

2) Your "Full Force Kicking" might have damaged a wheel bearing (unlikely but possible) which is now causing vibration.

3) You aren't seating the wheels correctly to the hubs which is causing your wheel to spin out of balance.

4) Warped Brake Rotors - definitely a possibility

5) Axles may have some play in them, get under there and pull side to side and see if they have any play.

Lets start with those 5 for now and see where we end up.

Quick Reply: bad vibration