3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Timing tensioner replaced on 4.7 and now no run

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 05:06 PM
ssiroin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing tensioner replaced on 4.7 and now no run

Hello, I replaced the timing tensioners on my 02 dodge ram 1500 4.7. Here is the scenario. I pulled the truck into my shop. Full tank of gas. I replace the sensors, buttoned it back up, did not turn engine over when removed intermediate and crank gear. Now it is a no run situation. I checked for spark. Good. Checked for injector signal with a paer clip and test light. Signal. Have good fuel to the rail. I am as well as a few of my buddies are completely confused. Any information would be awesome. Thanks in advance.

Steve

Last edited by ssiroin; 01-10-2013 at 05:07 PM. Reason: I tyrped sensors, I meant tensioners.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:43 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Im not real familiar with the 4.7 so left me ask, where are these timing tensioners located

Old 01-12-2013, 06:13 AM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude!

Did you follow the procedure in the FSM?

If not, download it from weed and check to make sure that what you did is what you see there. If not-----start over. It may save you a engine replacement, as the timing chain setup for the 4.7 is designed for "zero" timing error. IE----if it isn't right, you may put a valve through a piston----or several if it lights.

I can only guess at this point that somewhere along the way something moved.

Good luck------from reading your post, its the only thing that makes sense

Last edited by Gone Fishin; 01-12-2013 at 06:16 AM.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:19 PM
ssiroin

Thanks for the info. I have a couple of questions. 1st, if the gear is off one tooth it won't run at all? Also, where is this weed that I can download a Dodge service manual for a 02 4.7? Third, I simply pulled the intermediate timing chain gear off and put it back on after replacing lower crank tensioner? I appreciate your knowledge.

Steve

Old 01-12-2013, 02:20 PM
ssiroin

Behind the timing chain cover. Right on the front of the engine.

Old 01-12-2013, 02:22 PM
ssiroin

Also, I failed to mention that I can make it run if I squirt carb cleaner down the throat of the air intake housing.

Old 01-12-2013, 03:41 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sorry,

"Weed" is Weedahoe, he posted in this article

If you look up his profile, he has the Factory Service Manual available for free download--------Thanks Again Weed!!!!!!

To answer your question about the cam one tooth ahead or behind-----It may or may not fire, but the piston location will be number of degrees out of time ahead or behind the cam timing, and ignition timing, and all that on 1/2 of the engine. Now, if you do get it to fire, it may backfire and burn the top of the engine down, or it may just run lousy. I Strongly suggest don't try to fire it until you do the homework necessary to ensure you have this extremely critical timing correct. Everything starts here, and if this is off, so is everything else.

Quick Reply: Timing tensioner replaced on 4.7 and now no run