3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

need help choosing front end lift

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 02:21 PM
godfather86
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help choosing front end lift

I just perchased a 02 4 door ram 1500 4wd. I want to raise the front end and have no clue where to start. I am aware i will need to realign the front. I have seen spacers, torsion forks, etc. I believe it is stock. I have 33 12.5 r20 grabbers on right now with no rub but it sits with a big rake. I want it leveled so i can fit 35s or keep 33s depending on what it looks like. My question is what to go with and when i do it am i gonna need anything else like new shocks stabalizer etc.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:18 PM
BIGTEXDODGE
Rookie

Do a leveling kit there are many different brands just find something you think is the best. I went with hellbentsteel.com , I am running 36x13.5 with no rub

Old 01-22-2013, 10:20 PM
Brandon Anderson
All Star

I'd start with cranking those torsion bars. Get's you about 2", plus it's free and relatively easy!

Old 01-23-2013, 04:39 AM
BIGTEXDODGE
Rookie

Don't crank the torsion bars it puts strain on the front end components buy a torsion bar kit

Old 01-23-2013, 09:23 AM
1998dieselman

Cranking the torsion bars is the same things as buying the torsion keys- they both twist the bar more to raise the truck- same end results except that the keys can take you higher putting more "strain" on front end components, I did the key- longer front shocks too, But didn't crank the new keys to their 3", mabey 2.5" up- bit easier on components. Keys are cheap to do and really easy, but as B.A. stated: crank the bars first and enjoy.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:00 PM
Brandon Anderson
All Star

Originally Posted by BIGTEXDODGE
Don't crank the torsion bars it puts strain on the front end components buy a torsion bar kit

Old 01-24-2013, 11:37 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by BIGTEXDODGE

Originally Posted by 1998dieselman
Cranking the torsion bars is the same things as buying the torsion keys- they both twist the bar more to raise the truck- same end results except that the keys can take you higher putting more "strain" on front end components, I did the key- longer front shocks too, But didn't crank the new keys to their 3", mabey 2.5" up- bit easier on components. Keys are cheap to do and really easy, but as B.A. stated: crank the bars first and enjoy.
d-man would be correct. Both methods raise the front by exerting pressure on the torsion bars. Given the same amount of lift, the tension and front end stiffness would be the same.

Personally, 2" is the max I'd go on a "poor man's lift". CVs really don't fare well with much more...

Old 01-25-2013, 08:16 AM
godfather86

After all the goggling i think i am just gonna do a 4" suspension lift. I dont really want to go that high but all this stuff about ball joints and stuff i dont want future problems with the front end that would need replacing down the road that would cost as much as a suspension lift any way. I guess i will start looking at which lifts will best suit me without having any alterations to driveline etc. If any of u have a suggestion on which route to go i would appreciate. The most off roading i will do is go camping and tow my bike

Old 09-13-2013, 09:25 AM
sully5981
Rookie

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
CVs really don't fare well with much more...
do you know if a suspension lift will put the cv at bad angles? I looked under my truck and you would have to drop the front diff in order to lower the cv angles and i don't think a suspension lift does that.

Old 09-13-2013, 11:11 AM
08HEMI1500
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You'd need to get a suspension lift with a full subframe to keep the angles stock or close to stock. The lifts that do this cost a little more but save you in the long run

Quick Reply: need help choosing front end lift