3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

'08 4.7L Swap in '05 Ram?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 08:24 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Air Ram was helping him out with it. Sent you a pm.

Last edited by HemiLonestar; 01-25-2013 at 08:42 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:55 AM
AIR_RAM
Amateur
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

This is a 2002 4.7L Ram with the EATON M112 From the 2003-2004 Mustang Cobra engine. This is a RUNNING vehicle and tuning has NOT been an issue. It runs great up to 4,000 RPMs when the fuel system starts to fall off. So we are currently installing a higher capacity fuel pump.

It is SCT TUNED by our Tuner here at AIR RAM PERFORMANCE. With 39lb injectors It idles at 600rpms and the transition from idle to part throttle driving is flawless.

Click on the image and then click on the link it takes you to... that will take you to the tread... Enjoy!

If anyone has any questions please feel free to contact me.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Last edited by AIR_RAM; 01-29-2013 at 01:06 AM.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:55 AM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You guys decide on an aftermarket pump or trying the SRT pump?

Old 01-30-2013, 09:31 PM
davb673
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 904ram
Thanks for the input. I guess my original thoughts were that I was hoping for the same power as the '08 with as little to no true modifications from an OEM platform as possible aside from tuning. But there seems to be the thought that whatever gains I would make, would be pretty insignificant versus rebuilding a complete "drop in" using the 99-07 platform and building/ tuning it.

I considered this; using AirRam's high compression (10:1 I believe) domed pistons, new rods, race prepped heads, '08 intake, larger TB, CAI, headers and a new damper/ UD pullies along with a tune to build it. And I would have loved some HO cams... but I can't find them. This build, per Nick at AirRam would in theory produce about 325 RWHP... significantly more than the '08 4.7 and even the Hemi... right on line with the current Hemi's figures. Pretty impressive

Then, thinking back to when I used to build mustangs, a lot of times, when you build for more performance, a lot of times you sacrifice daily drivability & reliability... so the thought of this build kind of scared me since my truck IS my daily driver. And I don't race it, but I truly do want 300+ HP/ TQ as a truck this size should have... not only for driving but for towing, passing etc.... so this is why I considered the 310 HP '08 "Corsair" 4.7L as a direct replacement... but that doesn't sound like what I would end up getting.

Thoughts?
My 07 was also anemic, in my mind. I've done the following: Taurus Efan, Flowmaster Ypipe, Magnaflow 12279 (I think, 3" I/O C/C), HO cams, Superchips 91 perf tune. Truck's probably around 285hp now, and runs MUCH better. The muffler, the 91 tune, and the HO cams are probably the 3 biggest game changers. The muffler was the most recent mod, and with it the truck will briefly light the tires and sometimes chirps into second. It idles only slightly above stock idle (maybe 50 rpm more) with a slight rumble.

I asked Fast4.7 (I think it was him) over on d o d g e t a l k about the 08's internals, and the piston rods are not as beefy as previous versions. So, if you plan on making a BEAST, I'd not go that route. I have previously asked a bud of mine that was a tranny tech at a Dodge dealer, about swapping 08 parts (like heads and cams) to earlier 4.7s, and that wasn't doable if I remember correctly.

If you can't find a set of HOs, you could get a set of OEMs reground (by Crane) to 206 specs. Wouldn't be exactly the same as 206s from HOs, but should tune a little easier and still provide the HP you are after. There's a thread at d o d g e t a l k about this, in the 3rd gen performance section.

Running premium shouldn't bother you. With the 91 tune, my truck gets another 1.5 mpg.

Thoughts: I think you part list from AIRRAM will work well. Based on how my truck runs, I think you'd be happy with it. Even with the OEM based 206s.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:18 AM
904ram
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by davb673
My 07 was also anemic, in my mind. I've done the following: Taurus Efan, Flowmaster Ypipe, Magnaflow 12279 (I think, 3" I/O C/C), HO cams, Superchips 91 perf tune. Truck's probably around 285hp now, and runs MUCH better. The muffler, the 91 tune, and the HO cams are probably the 3 biggest game changers. The muffler was the most recent mod, and with it the truck will briefly light the tires and sometimes chirps into second. It idles only slightly above stock idle (maybe 50 rpm more) with a slight rumble.

I asked Fast4.7 (I think it was him) over on d o d g e t a l k about the 08's internals, and the piston rods are not as beefy as previous versions. So, if you plan on making a BEAST, I'd not go that route. I have previously asked a bud of mine that was a tranny tech at a Dodge dealer, about swapping 08 parts (like heads and cams) to earlier 4.7s, and that wasn't doable if I remember correctly.

If you can't find a set of HOs, you could get a set of OEMs reground (by Crane) to 206 specs. Wouldn't be exactly the same as 206s from HOs, but should tune a little easier and still provide the HP you are after. There's a thread at d o d g e t a l k about this, in the 3rd gen performance section.

Running premium shouldn't bother you. With the 91 tune, my truck gets another 1.5 mpg.

Thoughts: I think you part list from AIRRAM will work well. Based on how my truck runs, I think you'd be happy with it. Even with the OEM based 206s.
Thanks so much for this response! This is most helpful. I think in theory the blower on the 4.7 is a"cool" idea... just not practical for what I need, or so I don't think. Maybe it'd be different if I actually had the blower and knew EXACTLY what was needed to install it other than just the manifold adapters.
I'd like to keep the truck as close to OEM as possible, minus tuning and HO cams (which in a sense were OEM) and the things like you mentioned. I think this would get me the most RELIABLE power for my daily driver.
Have you considered upgrading to the new style Intake manifold since you added the cams and tune? I imagine that with the cams and tune would put you over the 300hp mark?
How difficult was the Efan to do? I see that the majority says go with a taurus Efan. Is there a reason for this over the Flex a lite "black magic"? Is it similar, just a fraction of the price? and did it install cleanly?

Last edited by 904ram; 01-31-2013 at 10:24 AM.

Quick Reply: '08 4.7L Swap in '05 Ram?