3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

need help with 4.7

Old 01-30-2013, 07:39 PM
blazinch
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help with 4.7

I have a 2002 4.7 non ho that spun a rod bearing that i am rebuilding. I was looking at putting ho pistons in it. Will these bolt onto my standard 4.7 rods. Will I have to have to have my computer tuned for them. Will it drop my mpg a lot or any and will I have to run higher grade gas.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:00 PM
davb673
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm no expert, but I've not seen anything that indicated HO pistons had different piston pins or rods. Do you already have the HO pistons? If not, I'd consider going to AIRRAM and getting a set of ROSS pistons instead.
I looked in my Chilton manual (no, not the greatest but does have some good info--and it was only $20), but it didn't have any piston info. I then looked at Rock Auto, and standard pistons are $37/piece, where HOs are $187/piece. Couldn't tell about the pins, so searched Google ) and this spells it out: http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/...d.php?t=149072 Looks like the pins are the same...
Ross pistons at AIRRAM are $750 for a set, and you can pick the CR. http://www.airram.com/product.php?ca...%20pistons

A tune would certainly be best. I'm guessing you could skip it with 10:1.

Yes, you'd have to run premium. Don't let that scare you away. I'm running OEM pistons with a Superchips 91 tune and get 1.5mpg better. Higher compression will actually help your fuel mileage a little bit.

All that said, you could find a used one in a junkyard and maybe save some cash. Or a used Hemi to swap in. The PCM, as I understand it, can be swapped or tuned (never tried it myself) to run a Hemi. Or you could just bring along the whole wiring harness...

Old 01-30-2013, 10:14 PM
blazinch

I think the one on rockauto is a set of 8 not just 1
I also looked at a 4.7 ho redline rebuild kit
Also what would the power different be between ho pistons and ho cams

Old 01-31-2013, 01:55 AM
AIR_RAM
Amateur
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

We have complete rebuild kits that come with EVERYTHING you need to build a strong 4.7L engine with BETTER pistons than the factory ones.

You can order our HO piston kit with a .040 overbore that will add a noticeable increase to HP and performance over the base 4.7L engine. Top this kit off with a 2011 intake manifold and you should be able to make 240+ RWHP with custom tuning. (the HEMI makes 250-260RWHP) Add HO cams and 70MM throttle body to the mix and bump it up another 30RWHP....

We have everything you need to to get increase the HP of your 4.7L engine for less. Dont forget we offer Coast to Coast FREE shipping... and our engine kits ship same day when possible.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Old 08-21-2023, 04:51 PM
Lazarus_

Originally Posted by AIR_RAM
We have complete rebuild kits that come with EVERYTHING you need to build a strong 4.7L engine with BETTER pistons than the factory ones.

You can order our HO piston kit with a .040 overbore that will add a noticeable increase to HP and performance over the base 4.7L engine. Top this kit off with a 2011 intake manifold and you should be able to make 240+ RWHP with custom tuning. (the HEMI makes 250-260RWHP) Add HO cams and 70MM throttle body to the mix and bump it up another 30RWHP....

We have everything you need to to get increase the HP of your 4.7L engine for less. Dont forget we offer Coast to Coast FREE shipping... and our engine kits ship same day when possible.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Is there a complete list of the parts in the kit? I have a 2002 4.7 Dakota slt JTEC and I’m looking to rebuild next year with the HO parts. Also, which intake manifold provides the best torque?

Thanks Laz

Old 08-21-2023, 08:52 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 222 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Lazarus_
Is there a complete list of the parts in the kit? I have a 2002 4.7 Dakota slt JTEC and I’m looking to rebuild next year with the HO parts. Also, which intake manifold provides the best torque?

Thanks Laz
While your still driving it... Do the mod in this post... been daily driving with this for approx 10k miles now, works awesome. You cannot go too big on the pipe though otherwise wot suffers. Currently have 1-15" & 1 9" installed and works awesome. Do take note of the intake tube i have vs oem... plus i have a 70mm tb plus turning vanes inside the intake tube, with that said, your results may vary and you may need to experiment with it. It did bump bottom end torque a good amount (1500-2500 rpms)

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ml#post3568012

Search this Thread