3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Someone near Mesa, Arizona

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 09:38 AM
dodgeram0328
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Someone near Mesa, Arizona

Hey,
I am looking for someone near Mesa, Arizona that would be willing to swap wheels with me for a test drive. I have a bad shaking at high speeds of about 60mph to 75mph. I have had my truck to dodge and they cant find anything. Took it to my mechanic and he had it for a week and can not find anything wrong with it. We jacked the rear end up and drove it and it was still shaking, just not as bad obviously. He told me to try new tires first before we tear into the diff. I don't know anyone that has the same truck as me. I have a 2007 Dodge Ram 2wd. My mechanic is thinking I have a bad tire on it and so does everyone I talk too. Might be a bad belt inside or something. So I am just looking for someone that is willing to meet up and switch wheels and take my truck for a drive to see if it is still shaking. Thanks for anyone that can help!

Old 02-01-2013, 10:40 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check your tie rod ends.... specially the outer tie rod ends.

I have a similar shake and I found some play in my outer tie rod end.

You can confirm it by driving slowly in a circle at full lock, if it clicks/pops when you turn to the right it's your drivers side outer tie rod end...

Old 02-01-2013, 10:58 AM
dodgeram0328
Rookie

Alright I will check that out tomorrow. I had planned on getting under it tomorrow to check it out. It seems like the shaking is coming more from the rear though. But my steering does feel like it is getting a little lose and I hit a bump and I go all over the lane.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:14 AM
Izero
Champion

Originally Posted by dodgeram0328
Alright I will check that out tomorrow. I had planned on getting under it tomorrow to check it out. It seems like the shaking is coming more from the rear though. But my steering does feel like it is getting a little lose and I hit a bump and I go all over the lane.

Mine does the same thing at highway speed... that is just how these trucks react to bumps at higher speeds...

Do you have a 1500 Mega Cab? Or is it a 2500? or 1500 Std/Quad Cab..?

Old 02-01-2013, 11:20 AM
dodgeram0328
Rookie

I have a 1500 quad cab. I have read that the bumps are normal on these trucks. The shaking is what I need to get fixed. It has been doing it for almost a year. It has been getting worse. I almost can't drive it anymore on the highway because it shakes so bad. Everything inside my truck is starting to raddle and make noises from such bad shaking. I really do not know how to explain it. You would have to feel it. It is almost like a side to side shaking.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:24 AM
Izero
Champion

well common things are:

Tie Rod Ends
U-Joints
Wheel Bearings
Axles
Driveshaft (Out of Balance)

What (if any) modifications does your truck have?

Old 02-01-2013, 02:20 PM
dodgeram0328
Rookie

I have no mods. I have had everything checked out that you mentioned except driveshaft balance. But I would feel that at lower speeds too. My mechanic doubts it is that. I have has the entire underside of my truck inspected. But I will check everything this weekend again and see what I can come up with. The shaking is powerful. It's not like a vibration. It shakes so bad sometimes my truck will go back and forth slightly in the lane and the bed of my truck and tailgate you can see shaking.

Old 02-01-2013, 02:46 PM
demon runner

I know it sounds weird but make sure you don't have any mud built up on the wheels. this will cause a severe vibration at highway speed sometimes.

Old 02-01-2013, 03:01 PM
Izero
Champion

Yeah man it almost sounds like you've got something going on with the axles and/or driveshaft there... I wouldn't be on the highway until I got that sorted out if it were my truck.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:03 AM
dodgeram0328
Rookie

Driving home from work on the freeway and it was shaking bad. Moved my side mirror so I could see the driver side tire and when it would start shaking you could see the tire shaking. I can't see the passenger side but my buddy is going to take a ride in it tomorrow and I will have him see if the passenger side is shaking. Then tonight I was towing a 12ft double axle trailer, pretty heavy, on the freeway and my truck ran perfectly smooth. About 6 months ago I had my friends trailer and on the freeway it actually made it shake worse. I am just baffled by it. I can't find anything wrong nor dodge or my mechanic. I need to get it fixed though because I don't feel comfortable driving it on the highway. I will see what I can find tomorrow, and if nothing, I will take it to a rear end shop. Thanks for your advice

Quick Reply: Someone near Mesa, Arizona