3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

radio problems after installation of HIDs

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 04:54 PM
loggerdodgeman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default radio problems after installation of HIDs

I recently had HID headlight and foglight kits installed in my 04 2500 5.9l at a local shop. My problem now is when lights are on my radio loses reception. What could cause this to happen? I took the truck back to the shop and they checked everything out and said every they did was ok.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:27 PM
FirstDodge05
Professional

Originally Posted by loggerdodgeman
I recently had HID headlight and foglight kits installed in my 04 2500 5.9l at a local shop. My problem now is when lights are on my radio loses reception. What could cause this to happen? I took the truck back to the shop and they checked everything out and said every they did was ok.
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe your issue is with the ballasts for the HIDs. They're mounted in a location that's interfering with your radio signal. They just have to be relocated to a different area under the hood.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:05 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

^^ditto. Move them around a little and see if it helps. i know its a pain as they are probably screwed down. maybe try to put a piece of wood over them to re-direct the modulated signals that are interfering with your radio before moving them around. if it helps, then you'll know it'll be worth it to move them around.
Cheap ballasts cause this.
Some say wrapping foil helps, but the ballasts casing is metal itself, I dont see how a little bit of foil can help but maybe its worth a shot?

Old 02-05-2013, 12:23 AM
loggerdodgeman

alright thank u ill give it a try and see what happens

Old 02-05-2013, 09:53 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

HID Ballasts can cause RF Interference... if you have them hooked up and they are mounted near the antenna they can cause interference with your AM/FM radio reception.

If you are getting distortion with your CD's as well then you might have a bad ground somewhere in the HID setup that needs your attention.

Keep in mind that the cheaper non-name brand Ballasts are much more susceptible to issues like RF interference, and Current Back-Feed.

Quick Reply: radio problems after installation of HIDs