3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Radio Tuner Not working HELP

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 12:22 PM
Houston281
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio Tuner Not working HELP

I own a 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn 4x4. It doesn't have the infinity system it just has the plain 4 speaker system in it. I replaced the factory radio with a Clarion VZ401 flip screen single din radio. I previously had this radio in my 97 GMC Sierra so I know it works fine. I had to purchase a wire harness adapter kit from best buy for 80$ and an antenna adapter kit for 16$. My problem is everything works fine when I have a CD in it, I can hear audio perfect. But when I switch the radio to tuner to listen to either AM/FM I dont hear **** but a faint sound of static. I tested the continuity for the antenna adapter thinking I had a bad one but the cable is fine nothing is shorted or open. I also double checked the wiring but being as I dont have HD radio or Satilite radio there is no need for an antenna turn on for the the basic FM to pick up (for ****s and gigs I pluged the aftermarket BLUE antenna turn on wire to the wire harness adapter BLUE antenna turn on wire), Still I get nothing. I can't figure out why my tuner isn't working with this aftermarket radio is there something i'm missing.

Please help!

Thank you!

Old 02-04-2013, 04:21 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like the antenna isn't plugged in all the way...

The Chrysler antenna adapters sometimes do not "click" all the way in...

Try disconnecting it and reconnect it... should be the CR-10 Adapter from Best Buy if I remember correctly.

Also make sure you followed the instructions on the CAN BUS adapter (the $80 harness), as sometimes you need to run ignition 12V+ source to it.

Which CAN BUS harness did you purchase? SKU/Model # will help me help you.

If I were you, I would also try to test this out with a known working aftermarket unit as well, so if you can exchange the clarion unit for something else, I would suggest trying that as well, as the clarion units AM/FM reception is nearly ALWAYS **** poor.

Worst Stereo brands I've dealt with in my experience are:

JVC
Sony (Xplod)
Clarion
Insignia (Best Buy Brand)
Jensen (Exactly same as Clarion)

Best Brands I've dealt with (in no order):

Pioneer
Alpine
Eclipse
Kenwood

Old 02-04-2013, 08:19 PM
Houston281
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Metra+Electronics+Co+-+XSVI-6502-NAV+Wiring+Kit/3399213.p?id=1218399185538&skuId=3399213&st=xsvi-6502-nav&cp=1&lp=1

This is the harness I used the connections are as follows:

Yellow= 12V
Black= Radio Ground
Red= Ignition
Orange/white= Illumination
Blue= Antenna turn on
White= left front pos
White/black= left front neg
Gray= right front pos
Gray/Black= right front neg
Green= left rear pos
Green/Black= left rear neg
Purple= right rear pos
Purple/black= right rear neg
Light Green= Parking brake
Blue/Pink= VSS/Speed sense
Green/Purple= Reverse

What I noticed inspecting the harness adapter is the blue wire it requestsyou connect to the aftermarket radios blue antenna turn on wire. That pin onthe wire harness adapter has the blue wire but if you look on the stock harnessthat it connects to there is no wire in that pin out location so essentiallythat wire does nothing.

I also checked the antenna adapter and I pushed pretty hard and it doesn't seam to travel any further so my guess is its in there pretty solid.

I might try opening the radio and Ohming the antenna connection out to see if its shorted or open, and also Ohming out the antenna line on the vehicle. My guess is the coax for the vehicle is fine cause the stock radio worked fine before I took it out unless it was pinched and when I removed it I took that pinched connection it was relying on away.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:40 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well that unit is USB updatable via Axxess's website... you may have gotten an old one that has been sitting on the shelf for awhile (it happens more often then you think)

Get it out of there and plug it into your computer and get it updated via Axxess's website.

http://axxessinterfaces.com/axxess-u...fll30b9h2pus46

Make sure you are downloading the right one, if you call the company's (Axxess) 800 # they are VERY helpful in walking you through the process.

If that doesn't work definitely give the tech support number a call and see if they can help you out.

Quick Reply: Radio Tuner Not working HELP