3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

major electrical problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 07:51 PM
bucky5000
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default major electrical problems

i have a 2008 dodge ram 1500 SLT with 63000 kms. a couple months ago i noticed that my power locks and windows would only work with the controller on the drivers door. ( i had a blown speaker so i unhooked it i might not have reconnected it all the way) then a couple weeks ago my signal lights were going on in the wrong direction. and then today my guages and heater fan cut out for a bit and were flickering and the engine light came on. then after work i went to start it and it was clicking like a dead battery so i turned the key off and on again then it started right up. the guages dash lights and heater fan all flickered. any thoughts??

Old 02-04-2013, 08:08 PM
kenneymc
Veteran

What age is the battery? Have you had it tested. Could be an issue related to the TIPM as well.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:06 PM
bucky5000

not sure how old the battery is in gunna assume as old as the truck. ill test it tomorrow at work. and whats TIPM?

Old 02-04-2013, 11:57 PM
Old Man with a hemi
Veteran

Originally Posted by bucky5000
i have a 2008 dodge ram 1500 SLT with 63000 kms. a couple months ago i noticed that my power locks and windows would only work with the controller on the drivers door. ( i had a blown speaker so i unhooked it i might not have reconnected it all the way) then a couple weeks ago my signal lights were going on in the wrong direction. and then today my guages and heater fan cut out for a bit and were flickering and the engine light came on. then after work i went to start it and it was clicking like a dead battery so i turned the key off and on again then it started right up. the guages dash lights and heater fan all flickered. any thoughts??

I had the turn signal problem and it turned out to be the multi switch for the light dimmer and turn signals. Never had any of the rest of the stuff you're experiencing

Old 02-05-2013, 09:31 AM
kenneymc
Veteran

Totally Integrated Power Module. Now, I am no expert on these trucks, so I am not sure if that is what it is called in your year model. But, it is basically the fuse box. Under the hood near battery. Someone else will correct me if I am wrong. I would give it a good visual along with the wiring. Maybe tug on wiring or move it around while someone sits in cab and monitors things, see if you can get it to happen. Just a thought. Then what Old Man stated above too.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:34 PM
bucky5000

i had it in 4x4 auto when this happened and i noticed that its not engagingthe 4x4 i tried to switch it out to two wheel drive and the display won't change out of auto but i can tell that important in two wheel drive

Old 02-06-2013, 02:00 PM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bucky5000

Bucky,

I'm sorry to hear about your electrical concerns. Have you been able to check the wires that were unhooked for the blown speaker to make sure they are plugged in properly? Was it after they were unhooked that these electrical concerns started?

If you'd like to PM me your VIN#, I'd be happy to review this further with you.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:02 PM
bucky5000

no i changed the speakers about 6 months ago. and the turn signals happend 2 months ago and all the other stuff just happened the other day

Old 02-06-2013, 07:03 PM
bucky5000

i also noticed that the past couple days it only happens when i start it.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:58 AM
kenneymc
Veteran

Start with battery. Get it tested properly, under a load etc. these trucks have been known to do weird electrical things with a less than optimum battery.

Quick Reply: major electrical problems