3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

unable to fill with gas

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 02:55 AM
sa1765
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default unable to fill with gas

okay, not entirely accurate. i can put about 1 gallon in before the gas is up to the fuel nozzle (it'll slowly flow into the tank). i've read the repair bulletin, but i have a few questions before i really get dirty and take things apart. two of the fixes are new filler neck and new tank. what in the filler neck would cause a problem? same for the fuel tank? since it takes 1 gallon, probably about the same volume that the filler neck holds, does that mean there is some type of anti-flowback valve where the neck meets the tank (incase of rollover)? if so, is that repairable, or is that the "replace tank" fix?
i'd assume that if it were a vent problem, it'd take more than 1 gallon before it stops, does that seem right?
i live on a long gravel road and have a car that had to have a fuel filter of some sort relocated due to dust/dirt build-up that caused a fuel-refill problem.....any chance this could be the same type problem?

Old 02-05-2013, 04:38 AM
Radam3
Amateur

I'm having the same exact problem. So far the only fix I've heard is replace the tank... Something with the vent goes bad, and it is not serviceable. I've been dealing with it since midsummer.
I've got a mechanic buddy looking into it for me now, but it looks like I'm going to be replacing the tank soon. This 20 min to fill up in the winter sucks!

Old 02-05-2013, 06:15 PM
TejasMtnBiker
Captain

I would assume since it's just a vent, once you pull the tank filler neck you could run some stiff wire gently to unplug what ever it is, make sure the end of the wire is bent to a loop so it's not sharp on the tip

Old 02-05-2013, 07:32 PM
Ridinhigh
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I work at Dodge dealership and it is not a problem with the tank but with the filler neck. They have a TSB out that replaces the filler neck and stops the issue from occuring also sometime this results in a blowback because the valve in the neck does not work properly.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:26 PM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I've been noticing that I often have to back the fuel nozzle out about an inch or so in order to keep the fuel flowing and not hit the auto-shutoff. I'm just now taking notice of it (before I saw this thread), but it may have been going on for quite some time and I just never thought it an issue.

Is this the beginning of the end for the tank and this TSB issue, or does it sound pretty normal? I would have continued thinking nothing of it had I not seen this thread, honestly.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:28 AM
sa1765
Veteran

Originally Posted by Ridinhigh
I work at Dodge dealership and it is not a problem with the tank but with the filler neck. They have a TSB out that replaces the filler neck and stops the issue from occuring also sometime this results in a blowback because the valve in the neck does not work properly.
so you're saying there is a valve in the filler neck that's not opening....or not opening enough? there's no valve in the tank where the rubber filler hose meets it? or atleast not one that would cause this problem. and lastly, is the filler neck riveted into the bedside, or fastened some other way? hopefully by the end of the day friday i know exactly what needs replaced/fixed.....and since a new tank is well over $1k, i'd bet that was the problem, not a $60 filler tube.....that's not the way my luck goes.
thanks

Old 02-06-2013, 07:40 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I had the SAME issue with my truck last week. I washed it thoroughly(salted up from roads) when the temps were about 10*F. I went right to gas station and damn gas kept backing up. I attributed it to a frozen check valve. Moisture goes to the highest point in the tank and on a truck that sits or has low fuel this is bound to happen. After i got 3/4tank filled it seemed to get better. I assumed the check valve was thawing out if you will and loosening up.

The filler neck is very small and it sits flat rather than at a downward angle to the tank. So any minor issue causes the gas to spew back especially with a higher flow pump station. Any screen or valve would be in the filler neck, not a rubber hose.

As for filler neck mounting. I havent looked at it lately but if it is riveted, it's riveted to itself not the bedside and clamped on the rubber hose. When I say riveted to itself, it's probably a sandwich style to the bedside. Just taking a stab at that though or else I'd have to go out in the freezing cold to take a peek..haha

For now, just squeeze the pump handle halfway and it should be fine, or full throttle then ease off when you hear the gurgling getting close, then repeat.

Last edited by dirtydog; 02-06-2013 at 07:46 AM.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:43 PM
sa1765
Veteran

well crap....still can't find the problem. TSB says if you disconnect the 2 vent lines at the tank and still can't fill, you need a new tank. well hell....what's the problem with the tank. we can feel air coming out of the vent lines when trying to fill, so we know those are working, so that just leaves the valve where the filler tube meets the tank. it seems to move free enough, but maybe it's stiffer than it should be and the fuel flow still isn't enough to fully open it. i drive 6 miles a day, so i guess i'll spend an afternoon filling the tank and then just make sure it stays at atleast 3/4 tank.

Old 03-08-2013, 12:36 AM
sa1765
Veteran

i finally found the problem, i just don't like the solution. it is actually the vent from the tank. after checking a 2nd time on my own, i realized that blowing air into the tank from the filler neck line didn't push any air out of the vents, it just wanted to come right back out the neck. i took the air gun and put it right in the vent nipple and pulled the trigger.....POP, then a long rush of out-flowing air. then i blew air back through the filler neck and air came right out the vents. then i dumped a 5gal can of gas in w/ no problem. i thought it was fixed (fixed enough anyway), but i guess the valve in the vent is stuck again....not sure how it's made, but after putting things back together and driving, it's back to not filling again.
at the very least, i know what's wrong now. too bad dodge didn't make that part serviceable.

Old 03-08-2013, 01:43 AM
Radam3
Amateur

I found a used tank at a junkyard for 75 bucks. I'm gonna be swapping them out this weekend. Hope it works, I've got my fingers crossed. I will post back with results once I am done.

Quick Reply: unable to fill with gas