3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4.7 swap question

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 08:02 PM
hemichuck
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 4.7 swap question

I just picked up a 2003 ram 1500 quad cab that has a bad 4.7 in it. I found a 2000 Durango with a 4.7 that runs. I was wondering if these motors will interchange without problems or if there is anything special I need to know.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:58 PM
AIR_RAM
Amateur
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hemichuck
I just picked up a 2003 ram 1500 quad cab that has a bad 4.7 in it. I found a 2000 Durango with a 4.7 that runs. I was wondering if these motors will interchange without problems or if there is anything special I need to know.
I mis read your text but the answer is the same just in opposite...

You would need to swap out the tone rings.

your 2003 4.7L engine has the NGC 4-PLUG PCM that uses the 32-TOOTH Crank Tone ring.

The 2000 4.7L engine you found has the JTEC 3-PLUG PCM that uses the 16-TOOTH Crank Tone ring.

You would have to swap crank Tone rings.

In this case it would be cheaper for you to re-build your 4.7L engine. We have complete rebuild kits available where you could even add 10:1cr HO pistons... this would bump up the power at the same time.

If you have any additional question please feel free to contact me.

SPEED SAFE, NICK
www.AIRRAM.com

Old 02-08-2013, 09:47 PM
roxie66
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So did you do the swap or rebuild your motor?

Old 02-08-2013, 11:23 PM
hemichuck
Rookie

I was plannjng on swapping it until I found out there was a difference in the tone ring. So I figured I would pull mine out and see why its locked up. If I have to pull the crank out to replace the tone ring I might as well see if I can fix the one that's in it. I've built lots of engines from 4 bangers to 426 Hemi's but this is my first 4.7. When I was unhooking all of the stuff under the truck I couldn't get over how clean the block and everything looks. It has 125000 on it but I found a Valvoline oil change sticker on the windshield so I imagine the inside wont look nearly as clean.

Old 02-09-2013, 06:05 PM
hemichuck
Rookie

I guess I wont be doing either one, the short block is grenade. I pulled it out and it was all crusted on the inside of the valve covers(which is what you should expect when people used Valvoline) and when we flipped it to pull the bottom end apart I noticed a dent in the pan rail from the inside and upon further inspection I found a crack down through the main girdle.I guess I will be needing a core or a new engine.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:12 PM
hemichuck
Rookie

So I got the motor apart and it broke 2 rods,broke a crank counterweight off(which I have never seen happen) cracked the block and both heads and cams are screwed. Went to the core supplier today and got a block/crank/rods nad pistons to rebuild and found 2 cracks in the core motor. I'm not having a lot of luck with this baby. I found a 2003 Durango with a 4.7 that still runs but needs rebuilding. Would that have the correct tone ring that I need? Oh by the way my original tone ring was even screwed up!

Old 02-17-2013, 09:17 AM
AIR_RAM
Amateur
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

It should be a bolt in... Just double check the crank tone ring... from what I remember the Durango went to the 32 tooth tone ring before the Ram... And the ram went to it in 2003.... So this means they should both be 32-tooth... Its easy to identify through the sensor hole... The 32 tooth has SMALL teeth evenly spaced... You should be able to see that through the sensor hole with a flashlight.

SPEED SAFE, NICK
www.AIRRAM.com

Quick Reply: 4.7 swap question