3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Died while driving

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 03:13 PM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Died while driving

I did some searching, but most of what I've found is a bit different than my experience.

Yesterday I had just exited the autobahn after traveling 70-75 mph for about an hour in light snow, and was driving home through a small village (30 kph/18mph) when the truck just up and shut off on me with no warning. I thought maybe I bumped the key with my leg, which has happened before, but that was not the case. Luckily I was able to get it over to the side of the road and parked safely with no power steering or brakes. It would then turn over strong, but not fire up. I used the "flooded engine" method from the manual (pedal on the floor, crank for 10 seconds), and it started back up after a few tries and drove the rest of the way home in limp mode with a CEL. The dummy gauges all read fine. There was half a tank of fuel. Once parked at home the engine surged to about 2500 RPM repeatedly.

I drove it on base today to have them scan it for codes, but they couldn't get to it as a walk-in. So, it's sitting there until Monday... I know it's very little to go off of, but anyone have any ideas? Someone said that it sounds like the fuel pump. I saw through some searching here that it requires dropping the tank, so I'll probably leave that to the ASE shop if it is, indeed, the issue.

*EDIT* 2005 5.7 4x4, ~70,000 miles, fluids good, could probably use a trans fluid change, due for spark plug change.

Last edited by Chet Ubetcha; 02-08-2013 at 03:15 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:10 PM
stenerson
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My vehicle shut off like that several times when driving. It was the EGR valve gone bad. I didn't have the problem with it surging though when that happened.

Old 02-09-2013, 04:30 AM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator

I replaced the EGR valve a few years ago. The symptoms then were completely different than what happened this time, though. I don't think it even went into limp mode that time (or it's entirely possible I didn't know what limp mode even was back then!). It could be the EGR valve again, I guess, but my thoughts are it's something different this time. Would be nice if it was just the EGR valve! That's an easy and inexpensive fix...

Thanks for the reply.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:25 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Sounds like it could be the fuel pump or possibly the Crank/cam sensor.

Old 02-10-2013, 05:11 AM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator

Thanks. What's involved with the crank/cam sensor? Small part to swap out, a'la EGR valve, or is it buried deep inside somewhere and hard to get to? Expensive?

I'll have to go on Rock Auto and see what they show for that. Thanks, again. I'm hoping it's something that won't have the truck down for two weeks while I'm waiting on the part to come in over here...

Old 02-10-2013, 01:06 PM
kenneymc
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just google it, but it appears to be on front passenger side of the engine right below the alternator.

Old 02-10-2013, 02:17 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may want to wait until you find out what codes have been set before you start investing in repair parts.

Old 02-10-2013, 03:41 PM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator

I'm not buying anything at the moment. Just trying to get an idea of what I might be in for, so then I can hope and pray like crazy it's not *that* part which is ridiculously expensive and designed and installed by a masochist...

Old 02-10-2013, 04:30 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

The sensors shouldn't be too hard to change.

Old 02-12-2013, 03:41 PM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator

Originally Posted by stenerson
My vehicle shut off like that several times when driving. It was the EGR valve gone bad. I didn't have the problem with it surging though when that happened.
Give this man his prize!

Much to my surprise, the shop said the only thing that came up when they scanned it was the EGR valve. Hopefully it won't take too terribly long for the part to get here. This had the potential to be an expensive headache. Glad I was wrong on this one!

Quick Reply: Died while driving