3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Electrically Dead

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 05:47 PM
john paul
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrically Dead

2003 Ram 2500 basic simple van.
Completely dead, acts like it has no battery even though the battery is brand new. When it was still working all was good except the tail lights and license plate light did not light.
Searching brings up corrosion in the Power Distribution Center next to the battery. I have not taken the Power Distribution Center apart yet. Since according to the wiring diagram relays are the most complicated components in this truck, could the problem be corrosion? This is not a Hemi or a good truck, just a bottom of the line plain work truck.
Anyone have any ideas?

Old 02-13-2013, 11:56 PM
BigSloth
Professional

first of all, check to make sure the battery is actualy charged. New battery or not they havent made a battery yet that works when its dead. You may have left something on.

After confirmation of power,remove and clean your battery terminal clamps to get any corrosion off. Then check the main fuse in the PDC if it has one. If all is good, look for a bad ground. Probably the chassis ground cable coming directly off the battery negative terminal.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:39 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am going to bet it is a bad ground... but the 2003's are notorious for corrosion under the fuse box... so that would be where I would start.... there is a write-up on here somewhere on how to do it, but it is not for the faint of heart to complete.

Old 02-15-2013, 04:37 PM
john paul
Default Electrically Dead

Thanks to BigSloth and Izero for their suggestions.
I am embarrassed to report that I caused my problem! Thankfully reversing what I did fixed it. Because the tail lights and license plate light do not work I am going to run a new wire back to them. Looking for a hot tail light wire under the dash I disconnected the C219 (C205 on my truck) connector by mistake. This connector contains 6 or 7 smaller connectors. Opening all of these killed the electrics. The C219 is held together by one bolt. I thought this bolt just held the cover and unscrewed it. This disconnected this major connector. The bolt does not hold the cover and when I re tightened the bolt all electrical contentions were OK!
This connector is to the left of the steering column.

Attached Thumbnails Electrically Dead-c205.jpg  
Old 02-15-2013, 05:12 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That will do it.. and don't worry boss it happens to the best of us....Good thing you checked your work over again

Quick Reply: Electrically Dead