3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

EVIC Installed w/ odd issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 01:28 PM
bmsgaffer86
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EVIC Installed w/issues (Anyone access a Starscan?)

Hey all.

I have a 2008 QC SXT that did not come with any overhead module. I purchased an EVIC module on ebay from an '08 2500. It arrived and I plugged it in.

Well it works, I get the DODGE and then it will go to the temperature and compass display, but the compass doesnt change from N no matter which way I face it (and it does not say "CAL"), and none of the buttons work to change anything.

What i HAVE tested:

The module (when holding the step and reset buttons) will do a self test and it says its OK. So i know the buttons work and the unit will also show correctly when I have doors open. So its communicating properly.

Why dont I have any menu, or a compass that works correctly? Is this something that has to be flashed into the computer by a dealer like my foglights did? Or do I have a bad EVIC unit and should look to get my money back?

Please Help!

Last edited by bmsgaffer86; 05-09-2011 at 12:41 PM.
Old 04-30-2011, 03:59 PM
Brandon Anderson
All Star

Was the plug already in the headliner? The compass has to be put into calibration mode manually. Hold down on the compass/temp button for about 5sec and you should see the menu.

Pressing the far left button should show you the other modes, and you cycle through them with "step". If this does not work, and you never had an OTIS, then I would assume that it needs to be activated with the starscan tool.

Straight from the service manual:
The temperature, fuel economy, distance to empty and trip odometer are calculated in the Cab Compartment Node (CCN) and transferred to the Electronic Overhead Module (EOM) for display.
If your FCM or CCM is not sending the required signals to the overhead, then it will have nothing to show you in any mode besides compass/temp.

Old 05-02-2011, 12:44 AM
bmsgaffer86

I had to get the harness to plug in the EVIC, as the harness in my headliner only had provisions for the center cab light.

This is the actual EVIC, so the only way (according to the dealer) to calibrate the compass is through the menu, which I cant access. The only hold-button function that works is the self test, which passes.

Does anyone know if there is something in the starscan that would turn this on?

I am going to try to visit a dealership tomorrow to see if there is someone there that will work with me to find out without charging me an arm and a leg. I'm newer to this dealership, but they seem friendly enough.

Old 05-02-2011, 01:01 AM
Brandon Anderson
All Star

Originally Posted by bmsgaffer86
Does anyone know if there is something in the starscan that would turn this on?
No first-hand experience, but I can only assume this to be true, as it's the only logical explanation. Tell us how it goes at the dealership.

Welcome to the forum BTW

Old 05-02-2011, 01:20 AM
bmsgaffer86

Originally Posted by Brandon Anderson
Welcome to the forum BTW
You know, I've been lurking so long that upon posting this I didn't even realize it was my first post! So, thanks a lot! I will keep you posted tomorrow.

I am an electrical engineer and I wish I could get my hands on one of those star scans! This summer I am ordering a CAN bus adapter to start hacking away at the system. (Gently, because this is a brand new-to-me truck!) I really need is to find someone that works at an aftermarket manufacturer that can get me the secret manual to the CANBUS on these vehicles. I tried once, and got so far as to see the cover before it was whisked away.

Old 05-02-2011, 02:53 AM
Brandon Anderson
All Star

Originally Posted by bmsgaffer86
I really need is to find someone that works at an aftermarket manufacturer that can get me the secret manual to the CANBUS on these vehicles. I tried once, and got so far as to see the cover before it was whisked away.
LoL and so close too!

I can't say that I'm an electrical engineer (I wish), but I received quite a bit of that training in the Air Force, and have been tinkering in the field ever since I left the service. In hindsight, I would have stayed single, stayed in the AF for one more year, then used the MGI bill to get the rest of what was needed for my electrical engineering degree. Damn you hindsight!

Old 05-02-2011, 10:04 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Download the 04 Srvc Man from the link in my sig and start at page 586

If nothing else, do a keyword search for "EVIC" in the PDF.

Old 05-02-2011, 12:28 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by weedahoe
Download the 04 Srvc Man from the link in my sig and start at page 586

If nothing else, do a keyword search for "EVIC" in the PDF.
Get the 06, it will be the closest available to your 08.

Old 05-03-2011, 12:23 AM
bmsgaffer86

OK. Dealerships frustrate me. I stopped there today to try to explain that I just needed them to plug the starscan in. The service manager told me, "We don't do that aftermarket stuff. If it's not factory we don't do it". I said (and turned the evic over) "it IS factory, dodge part number is right here." His only response, no matter what I said was, "we dont do that". I asked him 6 different ways, he wouldn't even give me the time of day.

I have another dealership that programmed in my fog lights for me that I can try, but thats a whole other story:
/tangent/:
I had everything installed ready to be turned on and they took my truck in and an HOUR later came back and said "we need the instructions, there is a special number on there specific to the set of lights you bought that needs to be put in the computer." I, having read the entire instructions thoroughly, told them there was in fact no number on them and I threw them away anyway. They told me "well we cant turn them on for you if we dont have that number". I asked if they had another set in stock to check those instructions and they said, no they are specific to your set. I said "fine", I went home printed a set of duplicate generic instructions from the internet, brought them back and told them I found the missing instructions (on which there is NO NUMBER). Voila, 10 minutes later I had working fog lights.
/tangent/

/rant/
How can Chrysler be so adamant that this starscan thing remain only in the hands of complete dimwits. I am far more afraid for the well being of my truck with this computer in THEIR hands than I would ever be with it in mine. If you let me have access to the inner workings of my truck (that I paid a small fortune for) and I screw it up, then its my OWN dang fault, so what!? I feel that Chrysler is like Apple with their dam computer. Very few dealers have techs that know anything about this 'magical starscan' beyond the step-by-step instructions that are passed down to them. It makes me angry.
/rant/

Don't get me wrong, there are some great techs at my dealership for working on all things mechanical, but they are NOT computer people.

Anyway, I will try some other dealers this week but I am just hoping that I can find someone that knows me who works at one because I think that any service tech's at my local dealers are too scared of the computer to even look at it without instructions.

Oh and the "EVIC" is considered the Electronic Overhead Module in the 06 manual. I can buy a 2008 manual on CD for $200 from the tech authority. Do you think it would be worth it? There are definitely some out of date things on the 06 manual that would be nice to know. Anyone want to go in with me, and split the cost?

Last edited by bmsgaffer86; 05-03-2011 at 12:34 AM. Reason: grammer
Old 05-03-2011, 12:32 AM
bmsgaffer86

Originally Posted by Brandon Anderson
LoL and so close too!

I can't say that I'm an electrical engineer (I wish), but I received quite a bit of that training in the Air Force, and have been tinkering in the field ever since I left the service. In hindsight, I would have stayed single, stayed in the AF for one more year, then used the MGI bill to get the rest of what was needed for my electrical engineering degree. Damn you hindsight!
Thank you for your service!

And let me tell you, the most important things I ever learned about electrical engineering was far from the classroom. The stupid piece of paper I will have spent over $60,000 on is nearly worthless. Oh well, I must be in a mood tonight, sorry guys I'm normally very bright sided and upbeat. Im dissapointed about my EVIC

Quick Reply: EVIC Installed w/ odd issues