3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2006 Dodge Ram - front calipers won't engage?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 01:54 PM
jeeperstrudie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Dodge Ram - front calipers won't engage?

Ok guys need some help...I can't figure out what the heck is going on.

changed the front pads on my 2006 dodge ram, done them 100 times without any problems. The calipers will not engage, all i have rite now is back brakes (not very safe for driving)

I went and took them back apart to see what if anything was keeping them from engaging and can't seem to find any problems.

Anyone have this experience before?

Truck is 2006 dodge Ram quad cab, 4.7 liter v8, 215,000

Also, there is brake fluid to the required level and the brake lines have not been touched so I don't think bleeding will do anything.

Old 02-16-2013, 02:12 PM
omextreme
Rookie

if you crack the front lines and hit the brakes do you get fluid? I am not sure if there is a front to rear proportioning valve on the 07 or not but in other cars i have owned the valve has gone bad.....

Old 02-16-2013, 02:34 PM
jeeperstrudie

I've looked at autozone and advance auto and no proportioning valve shows up for a 2006 dodge ram; So I'm not sure if I have one or not, but if I do that is great information.

Originally Posted by omextreme
if you crack the front lines and hit the brakes do you get fluid? I am not sure if there is a front to rear proportioning valve on the 07 or not but in other cars i have owned the valve has gone bad.....

Old 02-16-2013, 04:38 PM
omextreme
Rookie

Any chance the front lines have collapsed? Mine did but it was on a '68

Have someone press on the pedal while you loosen the line, just make sure you retighten the fitting before the pedal hits the floor or you will have to bleed the brakes.

Old 02-16-2013, 07:33 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I had to rebuild my front calipers because at one point, only one of the two pistons were engaging. You might have the same issue(s)

Old 02-18-2013, 01:05 PM
jeeperstrudie

Ok so I'll first thing I should check is if i'm getting fluid to the calipers by having someone push the brake pad down as i loosen the bleed nut.

If i'm not getting fluid then the problem is farther up in the system. If i'm getting fluid to the calipers then I need to replace the calipers.

does that sound about rite?

Old 02-18-2013, 03:42 PM
omextreme
Rookie

Sounds right, just dont introduce air into the system if you can help it, Light pressure on brake pedal dont stand on it lol....

Old 02-18-2013, 10:20 PM
BigSloth
Professional

Break loose the bleeders then tighten them just enough to close them but loose enough to easily crack them with a wrench. Have someone pump the brakes a few times then hold them down hard. While they hold the pedal down, crack the bleeder a half turn. You should get a nice steady stream of fluid. If there is no fluid, or it just trickles out you have a bad master cylinder or a kinked brake line.

Quick Reply: 2006 Dodge Ram - front calipers won't engage?