3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

low RPM power + idle shaking

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 09:51 PM
Hurctor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default low RPM power + idle shaking

I just recently bought a 2003 RAM 1500 4.7L truck. When I was driving it home (4.5 hour drive all highway) I noticed that it had little power getting up to around 50mph, I would have to practically floor it into passing gear then ease up on the gas to maintain 2k RPM. It seems that under 2k RPM the truck would shake a bit. Opening her up going 60mph+ there were no problems at all, as long as I kept above 2k. To solve the rattling when driving all I needed to do was let off the gas and give it again. At red lights there would be a tiny bit of 'pulsing' it felt like as I idled there. The truck has a comparable feeling as shifting into too high of a gear when driving stick.

The truck hasnt been driven in three months, so I put premium gas in her for the car ride home to try and burn off whatever may have been just sitting in there. I will be checking the basics such as sparkplugs and am hoping thats all it is but who knows.

Any help would be appreciated, even linking a thread where this has been explained that I have overlooked. Its late at night now, but I have all day off tomorrow and nothing planned so I will be poking around at her for the majority of the day. I will elaborate more upon request, just giving a basic briefing of what I am dealing with at the moment.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:24 PM
adamj546
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had similar issue happen with my truck I have had tons of people from auto zone and oreilys tell me that the ECU is common issue with these trucks but have yet to hear that from a dodge person though. With my truck (03 4.7 ST single cab) I popped in new NGK spark plugs as the original plugs were pushing 180k miles on them. Could possibly be a fuel delivery issue. I am no mechanic but that would be where I would start looking.

Quick Reply: low RPM power + idle shaking