3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

HID foglights?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 01:10 PM
ilducecorvo88
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

got them installed last night. gonna try to put a picture up. They're more blue than I was expecting, and they make my headlights look all the yellower lol but I like them. Thanks everyone for your help!

Attached Thumbnails HID foglights?-fog-lights.jpg  
Old 03-03-2013, 03:00 AM
davelee04

Looks good! I bet you can't wait to do your headlights now Are they as bright as you were hoping?

If you wanted mostly white with a hint of blue I would have gone with 35w 5000k or 55w 6000k. 55w ballasts will wash out some of the color so they make 6k bulbs look like 5k.

Old 03-03-2013, 03:21 PM
ilducecorvo88
Professional

They're bright enough, just don't project far pointed down in the fog housings. Headlights definitely need to be upgraded, they look yellow as hell now lol.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:26 AM
NV290
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a warning regarding HID fogs and HID Xtra in particular. I installed a kit from them and for starters, the HID bulb bases were not sized very well. Their was no doubt they were the correct bulb bases for the fog lights, but they were very difficult to twist in. You had to use pliers. And then once they "popped" into place they were not tight with the O Ring seal. Within a week i drove in a rain storm and the next day noticed water in one of the fog light housings. Without taking the entire fog light assembly out, it's impossible to get the water out. So did just that which was a PITA. Reinstalled and no matter how hard i tried never got a good seal. Next time it rained same thing except this time a bulb blew out. Had to pay for a new a bulb and install it. Then a few weeks later, one of the ballasts blew. They replaced that for free. Another rain storm, more water in both fog light housings. This time i went back to standard halogen lights and had no more moisture issues.

Not even a year ago, i decided to try another brand of HID fog lights hoping for better success. I went with a brand called Xentec. Their bulb bases actually required filing to get them to fit. Not alot, but maybe 30-60 seconds of filing per base. And they too needed pliers to twist them into place. They did however seem to seal tightly with no moisture issues. They worked fine for a few days. Then one day they would not turn on. I checked for a blown fuse and that was the issue. I replaced the fuse. With the truck running i switched the fog lights on to check to see if they worked. My engine started bucking, all the lights in my truck (Headlights, dash lights, dome lights, etc) started rapidly flashing and my Aeroforce Interceptor gauge screen inverted. I immediately switched the fog lights off and shut the truck down. Panicked, i disconnected the fog lights and crossed my fingers their was no permanent damage to my truck. Thankfully there was not. But that was and is the last time i ever install cheap Chinese electric components on my truck. The old adage "you get what you pay for" is true. If Bosch (a reputable company) is getting hundreds of dollars for one ballast, what do you honestly think the quality is of an HID kit where BOTH ballasts, the bulbs, wiring and shipping all cost $30?. To each his own, but their is no way i will ever risk doing major damage to my truck just so i can add a little more light. It would be safer and just as effective to simply add another set of halogen fog lights on the bumper then putting poorly designed electrical components on my truck.

Quick Reply: HID foglights?