3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Can't fill gas tank

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 11:03 AM
Radam3
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't fill gas tank

I did a search, and nothing came up. I've also asked a few mechanics I know, and they have never heard of this problem, beyond something being wrong with the vent. Stealarship want $700 for a new tank! not including install... They couldn't answer me as to what the actual problem is.

04 5.7. Standard Cab. Short bed. 4wd. 26g tank. (if anything else would be helpful to know, just ask)

So here goes... When getting gas, the nozzle clicks off every 30 seconds, if that, when on the first "click." So I have to hold the nozzle before it even gets to the first click. Taking me about 15+ minutes for a half tank or more depending how low my tank is.

I've taken the rubber part of the fill tube off, and nothing appears to be plugging the line. I couldn't figure out how to get the vent line off though.

Thought about dropping the tank to check into it further, but I heard that it is actually easier to take the bed off than it is to drop it... Either way, I am by no means a mechanic and am a single guy living alone with no garage. So I didn't want to tackle that alone in my driveway.

It's been doing this for a while not, and with the only answer I got being probably $1k to fix it, I've just dealt with it... Now that winter is upon us, standing outside for 20 minutes SUCKS!!!

ANY insight would be greatly appreciated. The cheaper the better, as to I don't have a lot of extra cash right now.

Thanks

Old 12-18-2012, 11:08 AM
GRNDPNDR
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe not a permanent fix, but have you tried not inserting the nozzle the entire way into the tube? only stick about half of the nozzle in the fill tube and pump away.

maybe it will work, maybe not.....worth a try

Old 12-18-2012, 11:23 AM
Radam3
Amateur

Originally Posted by GRNDPNDR
maybe not a permanent fix, but have you tried not inserting the nozzle the entire way into the tube? only stick about half of the nozzle in the fill tube and pump away.

maybe it will work, maybe not.....worth a try

Sorry, forgot to mention that... That's how I am currently doing it to get more than seconds out of it...

Old 12-18-2012, 12:47 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like the vent isn't opening... only way to correct that is to replace the tank... I know it's not good news, but that's about the only way to do it...

You're other option is to purchase a bed tank and fill that up then fill up your tank from there, but that isn't exactly "cheap" either...

Have you tried contacting a different REPUTABLE shop other than the dealer?

Old 12-18-2012, 05:42 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker

Fuel Tank Draining
WARNING: THE FUEL SYSTEM MAY BE UNDER CONSTANT FUEL PRESSURE EVEN WITH THE ENGINE
OFF. THIS PRESSURE MUST BE RELEASED BEFORE SERVICING FUEL TANK.
Two different procedures may be used to drain fuel tank: through the fuel fill fitting on tank, or using a diagnostic
scan tool to activate the fuel pump relay. Due to a one-way check valve installed into the fuel fill opening fitting at
the tank, the tank cannot be drained conventionally at the fill cap.

The quickest draining procedure involves removing the rubber fuel fill hose.
As an alternative procedure, the electric fuel pump may be activated allowing tank to be drained at fuel rail connection.
Refer to diagnostic scan tool for fuel pump activation procedures. Before disconnecting fuel line at fuel rail,
release fuel pressure. Refer to the Fuel System Pressure Release Procedure for procedures. Attach end of special
test hose tool number 6541, 6539, 6631 or 6923 at fuel rail disconnection (tool number will depend on model and/or
engine application). Position opposite end of this hose tool to an approved gasoline draining station. Activate fuel
pump and drain tank until empty.
If electric fuel pump is not operating, fuel must be drained through fuel fill fitting at tank. Refer to following procedures.
1. Release fuel system pressure.
2. Raise vehicle.
3. Thoroughly clean area around fuel fill fitting and rubber fuel fill hose at tank.
4. If vehicle is equipped with 4 doors and a 6 foot (short) box, remove left-rear tire/wheel.
5. Loosen clamp and disconnect rubber fuel fill hose at tank fitting. Using an approved gas holding tank, drain fuel
tank through this fitting.

Old 12-18-2012, 05:44 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker

Maybe the check valve isn't opening

Old 12-19-2012, 04:38 AM
Countryman93

our 05 chevy 2500hd with the 6.0l has this issue at work boss had it looked at they said needs a new tank, hes had 4 ppl tell him that so its expensive but sounds like what ya might need. convert it to a fuel cell hahaha

Posted from Dodgeforum.com App for Android

Old 12-19-2012, 06:51 AM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 102 Likes on 95 Posts

http://www.wholesalemopar.com

$367 for a 26gal mopar tank, plus shipping. I think I'd put a 34 gal in it... perhaps you can get an aftermarket tank?

Old 12-19-2012, 07:32 AM
Radam3
Amateur

Thanks for the replies, although not what I wanted to hear, but at the same time, what I expected...

Anybody know the truth about dropping the tank vs taking off the bed??? which is actually easier?

Old 12-19-2012, 09:25 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 102 Likes on 95 Posts

section 14 page 18 - has pictures too...

Tank Removal
(1) Loosen clamp and disconnect rubber fuel vent
hose (Fig. 23) at tank fitting.
(2) Support tank with a hydraulic jack.
(3) Remove 2 fuel tank strap nuts (Fig. 24) and
remove both tank support straps.
(4) Carefully lower tank a few inches and disconnect
fuel pump module electrical connector (Fig. 25)
at top of tank. To disconnect electrical connector:
Push upward on red colored tab to unlock. Push on
black colored tab while removing connector.
(5) Disconnect fuel line at fuel filter / fuel pressure
regulator (Fig. 25) by pressing on tabs at side of
quick-connect fitting.
(6) Disconnect EVAP line at top of tank (Fig. 1).
(7) Continue to lower tank for removal.
(8) If fuel tank is to be replaced, remove fuel pump
module from tank. Refer to Fuel Pump Module
Removal/Installation procedures.

Quick Reply: Can't fill gas tank