3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

SOLVED P/S Power Steering Pump Whine

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 10:59 AM
eisej
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SOLVED P/S Power Steering Pump Whine

I originally was posting in the Dakota section but since my solution was that the replacement pump they gave to me was the wrong pump I thought it best to post the resolution in this section. To clarify, I was putting the pump in my '05 Ram 1500 1/2 ton 4x4 SLT Quad Cab Hemi.

So the short story is that my pump was leaking a bit and I wanted to replace it. I got a reman pump from Carquest (Cordone). I put it in and it whined like a banchy. I flushed it, adjusted the belt, the pulley depth, and even put in a pint of the Lucas Oil Stop Leak / Stop Squeal. No love. I went to get another pump and just before I was checking out another guy came up and told me that they sold me the wrong pump. The Carquest part number for the CORRECT pump is 20-2069 which is for the 1500. The wrong part number they gave to me originally was 20-2068 which is for a 2500.

As a side note, even though the service manual says this, and the the Cordone TSB says it as well is that you must fill the pump completely with ATF-4 and not power steering fluid.

Short story long, is my pump is running like a champ. The pump must of definitely been on it's way out since the motor is so much quieter overall. Not even including the whine from the wrong pump. I now hear how bad the belts on my tires have shifted since the motor is so much quieter. Between that and the seafoam I put into the fuel really helped with the "hemi tick".

If you are wondering here is the original post in Dakota section
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...t-go-away.html

Last edited by eisej; 02-26-2013 at 11:02 AM. Reason: added the link to the original post

Quick Reply: SOLVED P/S Power Steering Pump Whine