3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

"Random" Electrical Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 08:54 PM
cwl568
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Random" Electrical Issues

Hopefully someone can lend an opinion or two as to where to even start with this thing.

I have a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 w/ 5.9L gas engine and an automatic (46RE?) trans. It's the "fully loaded" version with the overhead console and all the other bells and whistles that like to break and create havoc.

At this point, I noticed that the lights turn on when the key is turned on (and I do not have a daytime running system...were they even offered on the thing?), if you turn on the headlight switch, doesn't matter: they are already on and will not respond to the high/low switch. The windshield wipers don't work at all (that's when I first noticed this issue), when you use a turn signal, in the truck the dash light blinks, but the outside lights don't. The instrument cluster lights up when the lights are on (whenever the key is on, basically) and the temp gauge in the overhead console is just dashed lines. The compass and the rest of the functions on the overhead console appear to work fine, but the temp gauge is DOA.

I think that's all the different problems that I have noticed and they all appear to have started spontaneously and simultaneously. At first I was thinking (don't know the exact name, so don't please don't be hating) it was the Body Control Module? Then heard (somewhere) that I should be looking at the Power Distribution Module but I can't find a picture of what I should be looking for, where to start, if that is accurate, etc. and how to determine if that is truly the part I need. I've heard it's basically the entire fuse block but if that is the case, is it something I can spend time tearing apart and cleaning corrosion out of or is it best to just suck it up and buy another (new) one and how do I find one? Dodge parts website did not appear to be too forthcoming with a fuse block unless I'm looking at the wrong page there.

Any thoughts would be appreciated as, after the driest Jan and Feb on record, it is now raining!! Murphy hates me as when everything was working, I didn't need wipers.

Hopefully someone knows a lot more about these than I do.

Wanted to add: this isn't a vehicle I just picked up. I've had this thing for over a decade now and, for the most part, it's been a good truck. Blew the rear end once (c-clip retainers let go...under warranty), had to replace the rear end bearings as apparently the steal-ership didn't bother replacing anything that was wasn't completely destroyed when it ate itself, "ate" 2nd gear in the trans (again, under warranty but STILL had to fight with the steal-ership over repairing), and other than maintenance (just got done changing anything remotely resembling a fluid for the ump-teenth time, all new o2 sensors <apparently a Fed vehicle as only 2>, replaced ALL the brake parts (for the 3rd or 4th time) but this time it was everything but the master cylinder, booster, and the hard lines, all the front suspension parts, etc. We have a lot of history and I've gone places I shouldn't have been able too with this thing so really want to get this fixed as I don't like it when I'm this angry with my truck. Just doesn't seem proper somehow.

Done with rambling for now, I think. Anyway, happy to have found a good place with what seem like good folks to learn a bunch from.

Thanks.

Last edited by cwl568; 03-04-2013 at 11:36 PM. Reason: Additional Info
Old 03-08-2013, 04:06 PM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

cwl568,

Were you able to pinpoint where the concerns you've been having are coming from? Do have any aftermarket parts on the vehicle? It sounds like you are not too interested in going to your Dodge dealer, however they will be able to locate your concern and save you time and money in the long run.

I hope everything gets resolved for you and I'm happy to see you have been enjoying the Ram. If you need any assistance or have any inquiries feel free to PM me.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:39 PM
rlitwin

A bad ground can cause all sorts of crazy electrical problems.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:18 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1... A bad ground is a crazy thing..

Do a c-code test and return with the information.. hold the tripometer as tou turn key to run, but dont start.. watch your cluster.. two series of numbers will appear.. the first is the module, the second is tye number of key cycles since ot was last reported bad.. you can likely ignore anything with 05+ cycles in the second series for now, but get the first two numbers and look them up on a chassis code chart (c-code)..

Good luck!!

Old 03-08-2013, 10:40 PM
joebaum
Professional

1 Make sure all battery/ chassis electrical connection r good.
2 most of that sounds like a faulty multifunction switch .
Let us know what happens.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:52 PM
cwl568

Thanks for the replies and sorry it's been a few days getting back to y'all.

I still have the same issues and my first thought was that it was a bad multifunction switch as well (if that is the correct name for the "all-in-one" turn signal/windshield washer switch of doom.)

The main item that led me off that initially was that the overhead console outside temp is just 2 flat lines (--) but the compass and all the other functions appear to be accurate and working fine. That's what had me thinking it might be the Forward Body Module, which it seems that some people have been diagnosing on theirs, only to replace it with no change until they replaced the Distribution Block.

Thanks for the info on the C-codes...I knew about the 4x on & off to pull trouble codes but this was a new one.

When I pulled those I ended up with a "A4-05" and "Ad-00". I have not had a chance to even begin looking those up but that is next after this.

I'm hoping to begin looking into the grounds this weekend. I have the factory manual as a .pdf for the 2003 Rams, but nothing for the 2002 (just because they dropped the 5.9L and went to the Hemi the wiring should be identical, right? )

If they are remotely similar it will help, but I'll be back to let you what else I find and if I have ANY luck getting this resolved as it is actually rather annoying and I don't need anything else going wrong as this is my daily-driver (an hour each way to work through the mountains, no less.)

Thanks for the info to date and please let me know if you have ANY ideas or information that might shed some light on this (or wiring/ground locations.)

~Chuck

UPDATE: While looking around for the A4 code, I happened across one of weedahoe's old posts and, thanks to his previous posting, now have the parts catalog and service manual for the 2002 Ram. Big thanks to him and hopefully I can make some sense out of what is happening, but at least now I have a prayer of FINDING the actual grounds instead of just wandering aimlessly around the engine bay!

Last edited by cwl568; 03-15-2013 at 01:23 AM.

Quick Reply: "Random" Electrical Issues