3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Parking brake system rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 11:41 AM
broggyr
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Parking brake system rebuild?

Driving home last night, the Ram 1500 QC had a noticible lack of power. Took more pedal to go the normal route home. Odd. Engine also sounded/felt slightly labored. Not good.

Got home, put it up on jack stands add found the driver rear wheel binding. The rotor was fine and the pads were fine. Turns out it is the parking brake system.

The backing plate/dust shield that the parking brake parts mount to is completely rusted out - so much so that I can flex the whole thing with one finger. It has just shy of 70,000 miles on it.

I ended up having to completely remove the shoes, adjuster, springs, etc. I know the passenger side is just as bad but isn't binding the wheel yet.

I can't just go buy new brake parts as the mount points are severely corroded. I would need new backing plates/dust shields, but so far the only way I've seen them is on the axle itself.

Someone mentioned a parking brake rebuild kit for several hundred but I haven't found anything yet.

Has anyone had any experience with this?

Last edited by broggyr; 03-05-2013 at 01:46 PM. Reason: PICTURES ADDED!
Old 03-05-2013, 12:33 PM
TrueDogman
Captain
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Sorry, cant help, but I have been trying to source aftermarket backing plates for two years. Hoping someone else sees this thread and has a source.

Dealer offers the backing plate for huge dollars, however it comes as a complete emerg brake assembly including cable. Apparently like $350.00 as side.

Presently, I am running with no emerg brakes at all and backng plates removed, cables removed. It sucks not having a supplier for this simple item. I have also tried looking at backing plates for other vehicles, but have not found one close enough that I could easily modify to fit.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:39 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

have you tried calling the dealer?

If not I know http://www.rockauto.com/ has full parking brake hardware kits and everything... so give them a shot too....

Good Luck!

Old 03-05-2013, 01:08 PM
broggyr
Professional

Originally Posted by TrueDogman
Sorry, cant help, but I have been trying to source aftermarket backing plates for two years. Hoping someone else sees this thread and has a source.

Dealer offers the backing plate for huge dollars, however it comes as a complete emerg brake assembly including cable. Apparently like $350.00 as side.

Presently, I am running with no emerg brakes at all and backng plates removed, cables removed. It sucks not having a supplier for this simple item. I have also tried looking at backing plates for other vehicles, but have not found one close enough that I could easily modify to fit.
Thanks. I figure if my motorcycle can run disc brakes without a backing plate, then my truck should be able to also. The dealer kit must be the thing I heard about, and would be what I needed if I were to replace them. At this point, I think I'll just strip out the parking brake from the passenger side too, seeing as I never use it...

Originally Posted by Izero
have you tried calling the dealer?

If not I know http://www.rockauto.com/ has full parking brake hardware kits and everything... so give them a shot too....

Good Luck!
I did try them but didn't see what I was looking for. I think I'm just gonna say 'screw it' and remove the other side as well.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:06 AM
big guy
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For the guys that still have backing plates in good condition. Next time you service your brakes. Spent some extra time and clean up the backing plate and paint both sides with POR 15. That will buy some extra years of life to them.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:02 AM
jj141979
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same thing happen to mine. I got a new backing plate, shoes, and hardware all put together for $130 from Kasing Dodge in Ellwood PA. If I remeber when I get home I will look through my reciepts and get a part number for everybody.

Old 03-06-2013, 11:03 AM
broggyr
Professional

Originally Posted by jj141979
I had the same thing happen to mine. I got a new backing plate, shoes, and hardware all put together for $130 from Kasing Dodge in Ellwood PA. If I remeber when I get home I will look through my reciepts and get a part number for everybody.
That would be awesome if you still have it...

Old 03-07-2013, 07:12 PM
jj141979
Professional

Originally Posted by broggyr
That would be awesome if you still have it...
broggy! Here's the part number for the drivers side rear backplate and parking brake assembly...........you ready?.............52009967AJ. Good luck! Payed $140.98 out the door for the part in June of 2010.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:21 PM
broggyr
Professional

Originally Posted by jj141979
broggy! Here's the part number for the drivers side rear backplate and parking brake assembly...........you ready?.............52009967AJ. Good luck! Payed $140.98 out the door for the part in June of 2010.

HOLY CRAP that's awesome! Part number NOTED!
Now, something else to save my money for...

Old 03-07-2013, 09:11 PM
jj141979
Professional

Originally Posted by broggyr
HOLY CRAP that's awesome! Part number NOTED!
Now, something else to save my money for...
sounds good! let us know when you get it

Quick Reply: Parking brake system rebuild?