3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2004 Ram SLT electrical trouble

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 07:31 PM
viper76
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Ram SLT electrical trouble

I recently bought a 2004 Ram SLT quad cab 4X4. with the 4.7L engine
As I was driving the truck home, I heard 2 dings, then all of the guages went to zero (no reading), and the oddometer window displayed a "no bus" message. I did some checking online, and the majority of the info I found said that the PCM was bad, so I ordered a new one, but it didn't work. So, I am basically back to square 1. I have no idea what is going on. I had one person tell me that the front control module (which is bolted to the fuse box, under the hood) could be bad, somone else suggested that the fuse box itself was corroded, (it's not), and a 3rd person said that the instrument cluster was bad.
any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-09-2013, 08:28 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

The underside of the fusebox in the engine compartment is notorious for corrosion on the terminals since it's exposed to the environment(good one dodge).
These are super expensive to buy them used because the salvage yards know about this issue and you cannot get an OEM replacement.

Most on here have been able to somewhat dissessemble their fusebox and scrub it down and squirt dielectric grease and put it back to gether with great results.

Good Luck.

Old 03-09-2013, 05:25 PM
viper76
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's what I'd heard from several other people, including a service manager at a Dodge dealership, but when I unbolted that fuse box, and removed the connectors one by one, all of the terminals, and contacts looked brand new. I do appreciate the help, but I think I'm just gonna break down, and take it to a shop.

Quick Reply: 2004 Ram SLT electrical trouble