3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

OD & TCC solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 11:36 AM
Betty Clemmons
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OD & TCC solenoid

2001 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 5.9L. I just changed all the solenoids in my tranny and still it will not shift into OD. When I take the scanner and do the functional test on the OD solenoid and the TCC solenoid is shows that they are working properly but when I drive it no shift from 3-4 to OD. I also tested the relays and the transmission relay is also working. Any ideas would be helpful at this point.

Old 03-10-2013, 11:58 AM
BigSloth
Professional

First off, i think you'll find more help in second gen ram tech, since your 01 is a second gen.

That being said, look into the TPS. TPS voltage has a direct effect on whether the trans will engage OD and TCC lockup, if the volatge is too high, it gives the TCM the illusion that youre into the throttle harder than you really are. What kind of scanner are you running? You should be able to graph the voltage from closed to WOT, you want a nice clean line that rises gradually to near 5V at WOT.

If TPS shows proper functionality, then you are either looking at a TCM problem or a mechanical issue internal to the trans.

Old 03-10-2013, 12:23 PM
Betty Clemmons

My scanner is a Solus that I purchased from Snap-On Tools. I checked the TPS and it starts out at .64 and the reading went to 1.64 with the first check the on the second test to 3.23 but then drops both times back to .64 what does that mean do I need a new TPS solenoid?

Last edited by Betty Clemmons; 03-10-2013 at 12:34 PM.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:35 PM
BigSloth
Professional

I'm not too familiar with the Solus, does it have graphing multimeter functions? If not you can always just use a multimeter to check the voltages. The Solus should tell you what wire on the pigtail is the signal to PCM, backprobe that wire and check the voltages. All TPS's run 5V reference, the exact specs vary though. Check the FSM or Alldata. Should range from .4V at rest to nearly 5V at WOT.

Or you could do the easy way and just gamble the $20 and replace it and see what happens. If still no OD, clean it real good and try to return it.

Old 03-10-2013, 12:48 PM
Betty Clemmons

No it doesn't have the graphing function that I can find but when I do the test with my computer the gas pedal moves by itself and the reading was at the highest 3.23 its like it is a different reading everytime....Well I have changed every other solenoid and sensor so might as well change this one too. Thank you for the help. Will let you know if this fixes it....

Old 03-10-2013, 12:52 PM
BigSloth
Professional

I dont know the exact specs but at WOT it should be between 4.4V and 5V.

Old 03-10-2013, 12:56 PM
Betty Clemmons

I unplugged the TPS and the scanner gave me a reading 4.98 unplugged and when I plugged it back it got the reading .64.

Last edited by Betty Clemmons; 03-10-2013 at 01:00 PM.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:23 PM
Betty Clemmons

Problem solved scanned GPS and the temperature sensor is not reading the transmission temp. Which is located in the GPS and I must have bought bad GPS.

Old 03-10-2013, 06:28 PM
BigSloth
Professional

Governor pressure solenoid? That would do it. TCM won't let the TCC lockup until it's warm, since the slippage in the TC is a great heat source. Glad you found it.

Quick Reply: OD & TCC solenoid