3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Can the solenoid pack fix itself??

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 05:44 PM
Mikey26
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can the solenoid pack fix itself??

New here, first post, here's what I got going on:

2004 Ram 1500 Quad 4.7L
about 103k

Started off the truck would stall when I came to a stop, started back up each time and went on my way. Gradually got worse to where the CEL was on and when I shift into R or D, I would hit the gas and nothing for a few seconds then a hard jump into gear. After getting worse and worse I took it in, they did a flush and replaced the filter. Not even an hour after I got it back, same exact problems. Took it back, this time they were getting a low pressure reverse clutch issue, they spoke with a Ram dealer nearby and was advised to replace the line pressure switch. Was good for about a day then it was actually worse. Got to be when I came to a stop it either stalled, or when I went to move again it was stuck in 3rd and took me about a minute to actually get it going again. Took it to a place that specializes in transmissions, the guy took it for a road test, did a diagnostic, basically was telling him when I was coming to a stop, the line was losing pressure and not allowing it to downshift, but it could be a variety of parts causing it. Took it to the Ram dealership to use their Tranmission Simulator tool, they found it to be the solenoid pack was bad. It's a $700 job so I told them can't do it now I'll bring it back when I can. But since I got the truck back, the CEL is off and I'm not having any issues, no acting like it's going to stall, downshifts just fine, etc. The dealership did not do any work other than running 2 separate diagnostic tests. Is it possible that somehow the bad solenoid pack fixed itself, or is it going to come back in a day or two? I've only had it back one day so far. Thanks for your help and sorry it was so long to explain, but I wanted to make sure you guys know where I'm coming from!

Old 03-12-2013, 07:30 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes.. they can clear and 'fix' themselves, albeit a temporary fix.. they will reclog at some point and you'll experience the same thing again..

By the parts and fix it yourself.. you'll have around $200 in parts, and $100 or so in fluid and paper towels.. mostly paper towels.. its an easy job, but its a messy job.. will take you all of an hour to get it done..

Old 03-12-2013, 09:26 PM
06Ramin
Amateur

I had a very similar problem with my 06. (545RFE transmission) Started with a CEL (Cannot remember what the code number was but it came back to the torque converter clutch solenoid). Shortly after that truck started stalling everytime I came to a stop and about 80% of the time when I put the truck in drive.
I replaced the solenoid block and it seemed ok for about a day then got worse.
Took it to the transmission shop and found that the toruqe converter was burnt up.

if you do decide to replace the soileoid pack yourself just be careful when tightening the bolts for the valve body...they will snap very easily.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:58 PM
kennethtownsend

solenoid pack replacement took my 4 hours, that was beer breaks, cleaning and testing connection and what not. making sure pan was clean and clear etc. Also be advised you may or may not have to do a drive by relearn on your trans. i didnt but you may have too. good luck. btw mopar online has the part for 215.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:51 PM
Mikey26

Thanks for the info guys, I was hoping it would stay fixed for at least a few days but last night as I was leaving work it immediately started again, CEL came on, got stuck at a red light and couldn't get it back in 1st, it was a pain. I wish I could replace it myself but my tech skill is low, I can do the basics like fluid changes and things but nothing with the tranny. Guess I'll just have to wait until I get the money to get it done. The odd thing is when I start it up first thing in the morning, it'll run fine all day, no stalls, no failure to downshift etc, but when it sits all night while I'm working (about 10-12 hours) and I go to leave work, the problem comes back again.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:02 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That sucks, bro..

When it "does it", make sure and manually shift to first gear using your shifter.. you'll do damage to clutch surface that will require a rebuild, otherwise. It will be annoying, but you can drive it similar as you would a clutchless manual to no ill effect..

Old 03-14-2013, 08:12 AM
kennethtownsend

Originally Posted by Mikey26
Thanks for the info guys, I was hoping it would stay fixed for at least a few days but last night as I was leaving work it immediately started again, CEL came on, got stuck at a red light and couldn't get it back in 1st, it was a pain. I wish I could replace it myself but my tech skill is low, I can do the basics like fluid changes and things but nothing with the tranny. Guess I'll just have to wait until I get the money to get it done. The odd thing is when I start it up first thing in the morning, it'll run fine all day, no stalls, no failure to downshift etc, but when it sits all night while I'm working (about 10-12 hours) and I go to leave work, the problem comes back again.
trey letting it warm up for about 5 minutes.

Also if you can change the oil and do a tune up you can most definately change the solenoid pack out yourself. literally drop pan, remove filters, remove solenoid pack (15 or so bolts) replace solenoid pack with new ones, replace filters with new ones, RTV the pan, install pan, fill with fluid, drive and enjoy. it is just like a tune up. remove and replace is all your are doing.

Quick Reply: Can the solenoid pack fix itself??