3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Throttle body or Transmission or something else??

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 12:30 AM
03HemiCici
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle body or Transmission or something else??

Well first off I'm new on the forums! But Ive had my 2003 dodge ram 1500 hemi for about 5 months now and had to fix and fixing so many problems. I cant believe the original owners.. But anyway my wife and I were driving the other day and I went to speed up and I noticed the truck didn't shift down at all, so I pushed the pedal down to the floor and still did not shift down. So we stopped real quick I put the truck in neutral and shut it off and started it again and put it in drive and it almost died when I did. Ive heard that it could be the throttle body or the IAT sensor if the voltage is off. I don't want to take it to the dealer ship so any help would help. I also just did tune up on it to, cleaning throttle body ect. And yes I have every electrical unit hooked up right.

Old 03-13-2013, 01:59 AM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

EGR valve? The not shifting thing could be the trans in limp mode. I've had an EGR valve go bad twice; once just last month. Each time was a different symptom. The first time it was very sluggish and didn't want to get out of its own way.

Disconnect your battery for 10 minutes and see if it resets the computer. If it shifts again normally, then the trans went into limp mode due to some other issue and is not necessarily related to what exactly is at fault. It's just a self-protection mechanism to keep it from destroying itself if you have something seriously amiss elsewhere.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:33 PM
03HemiCici
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Right on thanks for the response man. The truck does seem sluggish almost like theres a trailer on the back. I already disconnected the battery before just to see if it would help. It did and then went back to its original self the next day. Ill try changing out the EGR valve to see if it helps. Ill put updates

Old 03-14-2013, 02:55 AM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Also, is it showing any codes?

Quick Reply: Throttle body or Transmission or something else??