3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Engine noise in Rebuilt 4.7l?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 09:55 AM
4minc
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine noise in Rebuilt 4.7l?

I have an interesting problem that I need some expert opinions on. I recently had the engine rebuilt in my Dodge Ram (4.7l) this past September. Ever since getting my truck back it has had a ticking sound which appeared to be a lifter noise. Took truck back and they told me that they replaced ‘all’ the lifters in truck to take care of ticking noise. Keep in mind that the lifters were replaced initially with the rebuild, so this is the second set of lifters in this engine. When I got the truck back (with the 2nd set of lifters) it still made the ticking sound (but quieter). However, as time passed it quickly has gotten louder to the point where every time I accelerate (around 2000rpm) the noise is noticeable by people on the sidewalk. Question is, is it possible for yet a second set of lifters to go bad to cause this noise? I have had this truck back to this engine shop in total of 30+ days since and they have just been jerking me around to the point where I am done with them and am heading to small claims court. Although it does sound like a bad lifter my gut feeling is that they did not replace them and/or there is an underlying problem that is keeping the lifter(s) from pumping up? I have read enough on this topic to know that it is possible to determine which lifter is bad when you open the engine up so I question as to why they would jump in and replace all the lifters the 2nd time around? I think I have been taken for a big ride but wanted to get some insight from somebody.
Thanks

Old 03-19-2013, 11:13 AM
4minc
Rookie

bump.....

Old 03-19-2013, 12:00 PM
broggyr
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are they sure it's not an exhaust leak? Sometimes that can sound like a lifter noise...

Old 03-20-2013, 08:21 AM
4minc
Rookie

Originally Posted by broggyr
Are they sure it's not an exhaust leak? Sometimes that can sound like a lifter noise...
Yes, it is not an exhaust leak. The noise is prevalent on start up and then you the motor is under a load. Upon a steady acceleration (around 1800-2000ish) is when you can hear it the loudest. once you start going higher into the rpm range the rumble of the engine starts to drown it out.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:00 AM
p38251
Record Breaker

Hopefully you have all your trips back into the shop documented. Take it to another shop for a 2nd opinion, and cost to repair. Have the other shop write you a work order. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Engine noise in Rebuilt 4.7l?