3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

WOT shifting issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 12:43 PM
Catchin Zs
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WOT shifting issues

Hey guys, I have a 2006 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi with mds.
I have a Superchips 3950 as well. My truck has been acting weird lately. Some codes have come up, like one for the rear speed sensor, but I just replaced that and it has come back on even after I cleared it.
Anyway, I have my Superchips on all the time with 4 different gauges- egt, fuel level, timing advance, and throttle %. When I punch it from a dead stop, the throttle % only goes up to 76 and 5k rpms,nothing higher. Before I had this problem it would go all the way up to 100%,and to 6k rpms, where I had the limiter set with my SC tuner. This was all in Drive.
I just punched it with the shifter set to 1st and, low and behold, it went past 5k. I set my sc back to stock in hopes of it doing something, but it did nothing. It seems this is some sort of limp mode? Never had this problem..
I also have a grounded TB and a CAI under the hood.
The only code I am showing right now is U0164- lost communication with hvac control module.
Can anyone shed some light on what I can do to get this rev limiter problem fixed? Any help would be great, thanks!

Old 03-19-2013, 06:20 PM
BigSloth
Professional

The SC as well as all tuners get their signal for throttle % from the TPS, if the TPS is bad, it will cause shifting issues.

The best way to confirm is to backprobe the signal wire from the TPS. If you have a haynes manual it will tell you which wire to test, if not, unplug the TPS with the key on, use a meter to find your 5V reference wire in the 3 wire connector, then find your ground, the remaining wire is the signal to the PCM. Plug the connector back in and backprobe that wire, note your reading at idle, and at WOT.

Old 03-19-2013, 06:35 PM
Catchin Zs
Professional

Thanks for the help, I'll give it a try.

Quick Reply: WOT shifting issues