3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2003 Ram 1/2T quad cab alignment issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 05:06 PM
The_Penguin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Ram 1/2T quad cab alignment issue

truck has excessive negative camber on right front wheel.

years ago, I had Firestone do a lifetime alignment on it, so I continue to let them do it.

Recently took it in for adjustment and was told both upper A-arms needed replacement.

So, off I go to do that myself at my friend's garage and take it back to Firestone for re-alignment after the replacement. Truck has 180K(ish) miles, so I went ahead and replaced the shocks as well.

they told me that there was no camber adjustment in the right side (that it was let out as much as possible), and that the springs were likely worn out and needed to be replaced so that there would be some camber adjustment available. I do recall that of the 2 A-arm adjustment slots, one slot on each side of truck was let out as far as possible.

I was quoted over $600 (maybe $800, I don't remember) to do this work...of course I had the whole front end apart to replace A-arms - so I can do this as well...but the question is...are they feeding me a line of garbage to generate sales, or could the springs be worn enough to need replacement?

I think all the front end alignment components have been replaced in the last year except for the lower ball joint on the right side.

Truck was also involved in an accident 3 years ago on that side. I've called the body shop - and he says there was no frame work done, only body & mechanical, but bring it by anyway and he'll look at it.

looking for more suggestions here...

thanks!

Last edited by The_Penguin; 03-19-2013 at 05:11 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:34 PM
BigSloth
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Worn springs can cause excessive negative camber, but there is so much adjustment in the eccentric cams that if the ball joints are good, and nothing is bent, you should be able to work enough camber in to compensate for spring sag.... I know this because I have done alignments on lowered rams where all that was done is cut the coils, and I was able to get the camber close to where it needed to be.

I'm thinking either your lower ball joint is bad(which will cause the tire to lean inboard due to gravity) or you have a bent control arm mount or other componenet from the accident. Have you checked for play in the lower ball joint?

Quick Reply: 2003 Ram 1/2T quad cab alignment issue