3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

A couple issues after engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 10:25 PM
quadgoose
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A couple issues after engine swap

Hi I have a 4.7L V8, Ram 1500 2002, I used a motor from a 2000 Dodge Dakota also a 4.7L. Done the swap and everything is good except:

1) Power steering only works at 3500 rpms but it is leaking, is there a good method of determining whether the pump or the rack is at fault? Its leaking from below the reservoir and appears to be leaking on the passengers side below the rack. Would it be worth swapping out both?

2) The ABS light, and the brake light is always on but the brakes work fine. The truck did sit for a while so I am wondering if rust and crap could be at fault. I have also seen on this forum that the rear speed sensor could cause this but I don't see the rationale behind this conclusion. Anyone have the same issue and was it the rear speed sensor?

Thanks!!!

Old 03-21-2013, 10:33 PM
T-Muns
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2) Did you change the PCM? Anytime I've changed the PCM my abs & brake light would be on until I reset the abs controller. I was able to do this by using a superchips tuner and changing the tire size. Otherwise, you'd have to get the dealer to do it.

Quick Reply: A couple issues after engine swap