3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Having Trouble w/Brake Lights Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2005, 03:55 PM
jrmayer01
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Having Trouble w/Brake Lights Help Please

I have an 02 ram 4.7 liter. Had the lamp out light go on the other day and replaced all the bulbs. In fact, after that, only one bulb would work when you depressed the brake. However, they all light up when the lights are turned on. I went to dodge and replaced the bulb circuit strip that inserts into the actual tail light. That didn't work either. I then checked the fuses--all are working.

Any help would be great on advice here. I am trying not to go to dodge and pay a kazillion dollars on something you guys might have a clue on here. Thanks a bunch

jrmayer01@hotmail.com

Old 09-18-2005, 02:54 AM
Avanti
Captain
Default RE: Having Trouble w/Brake Lights Help Please

Unfortunately, I do not know a specific fix for your particular problem, but I have a general suggestion when working with electrical problems...

Many difficulties can be traced to faulty grounds. This is often the most productive place to start. Even the slightest corrosion can be an issue, and new vehicles may have over a dozen major ground connections to the frame (one of my vehicles has 14!).

Find all relevant grounds (the schematics would be a help if you have or wish to find them), disconnect, clean, and reinstall.

Where you live can also be an aggrevator regarding grounds. Salted roads, salt sea air, etc. can make matters worse.

Just a starting point. It has fixed a number of problems I've encountered, from faulty gauge readings to intermittnt malfuntions of various sorts.

Good luck!

Old 09-18-2005, 03:20 AM
Black SRT4
Default RE: Having Trouble w/Brake Lights Help Please

Is there ever a time that the light is out, and when you accelerate the light comes on. I was having this problem in my 03 SRT-4, and it ended up being low on brake fluid. Kind of made sense to me, after I thought about it. I would guess that either you are low on fluid, or you have a bad sensor in your reservoir. But of course this wasn't in a Ram, but it something else to think about.

Quick Reply: Having Trouble w/Brake Lights Help Please