3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Can someone explain pressure wire and tranny line booster

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 12:09 AM
msorbara10
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can someone explain pressure wire and tranny line booster

I have seen a couple threads on these two mods. I am just really not sure what they do, how they work, and if they are very benificial.

I undertstand that the tranny line booster will give you firmer shifts.. Is this good or bad for the tranny? Does it cause any extra strain? If not I would love to add this mod.

Anyway just looking for some info on these mods. Again just not sure of the benifits and how they work. I could imagine they are good complementary mods.
Thanks

Old 04-01-2013, 01:25 AM
BigSloth
Professional

not sure what you mean by pressure wire, but the tranny line booster is a good mod and theres a few threads about making your own, as well as premade units being sold online.

The trans line booster is a harness that goes in line of the connector for the line pressure sensor. Basically it uses resistors to alter the signal to the TCM, causing the TCM to increase the line pressure in the trans. That gives you firmer, faster shifts. Firmer shifts are better shifts, a hard shift means the clutches dont slip for as long during a shift, less slip means less wear and less friction. Less friction means less heat, less heat means longer fluid life. Its an all around win in my book, and i cant think of any negative effects on the transmission that would come from it.

Be sure to disconnect the battery for a while to clear the adaptives after installation.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:16 AM
Busdriver9
Professional

Originally Posted by BigSloth
not sure what you mean by pressure wire, but the tranny line booster is a good mod and theres a few threads about making your own, as well as premade units being sold online.

The trans line booster is a harness that goes in line of the connector for the line pressure sensor. Basically it uses resistors to alter the signal to the TCM, causing the TCM to increase the line pressure in the trans. That gives you firmer, faster shifts. Firmer shifts are better shifts, a hard shift means the clutches dont slip for as long during a shift, less slip means less wear and less friction. Less friction means less heat, less heat means longer fluid life. Its an all around win in my book, and i cant think of any negative effects on the transmission that would come from it.

Be sure to disconnect the battery for a while to clear the adaptives after installation.
I was told by the Trans Shop not to use the trans booster if I was using my Superchips.....They said Superchips is designed for a stock situation and the booster is considered to be an altered (MOD) from stock situation. also be careful when messing with the line pressure sensor wiring because that was what was found to be faulty with my trans.....causing the line pressure solenoid to malfunction and in turn burning up my under drive and 2nd clutches.....that was $1900 booboo!

Old 04-01-2013, 10:43 AM
BigSloth
Professional

Originally Posted by Busdriver9
I was told by the Trans Shop not to use the trans booster if I was using my Superchips.....They said Superchips is designed for a stock situation and the booster is considered to be an altered (MOD) from stock situation. also be careful when messing with the line pressure sensor wiring because that was what was found to be faulty with my trans.....causing the line pressure solenoid to malfunction and in turn burning up my under drive and 2nd clutches.....that was $1900 booboo!
Thats different, he has an 04, most tuners only have TCM support for 05+ from what ive seen here. If you are running a superchips and have used it to modify the TCM, then i would not use the line booster because it may cause some conflicting signals.

But for someone not using a TCM supported tuner, like on an 04, its a great mod. Even if you have a tuner on the truck, but it doesnt support TCM tuning, I cant think of any reason why you couldnt run a line booster, its a separate system from the PCM that the superchips affects.

Quick Reply: Can someone explain pressure wire and tranny line booster