3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Techs are stumped by my issue....

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 11:25 AM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tbucket101
06 1500 Megacab, 135k, one owner truck just purchased....month into owning it I would notice after hitting a stretch of semi rough road and climbing a slight grade, it would cut out once, then it started cutting out a couple times and now sometimes it will cut our several times and run good for a while.....but it always seems like it does it right after clearing a rough patch of road and always while on the throttle.

Also, the ETC light flashed a few times and sent me into limp mode.

Firestone originally diagnosed the issue as a throttle body and bad battery, but didn't fix the issue although the ETC issue hasn't resurfaced, but the cutting out is still happening. Its been back at Firestone and Ive spoken with the tech who seems to be pretty knowledgeable about wiring and ground issues....nothing can be found as to why it doing it. They refunded my money.

Any suggestions?
Truck will not misfire sitting in my driveway idling, idles smoothly and doesn't have any other issues except for the cutting out.

It feel like a voltage drop from the ignition but its not a single cylinder because of how hard it drops out or maybe a momentary fuel pressure drop but its very quick.

Any suggestions?
Tbucket101,

Welcome to the Dodge Forum!!

The service of an intermittent condition can become frustrating for the vehicle owner and the repair facility. In this case it sounds like it is difficult to reproduce the condition in order to pursue an investigation. I would recommend to either bring the vehicle to the nearest Dodge dealer at the time the symptoms are occurring to be assessed or, as Gcburkett stated, to log the times and environment when it happened to see if you begin to notice a pattern. When the dealer is able to duplicate the concern they will be able to assist in pinpointing where the problem is coming from.

If you have any questions feel free to PM.

Old 04-04-2013, 12:05 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is a thread that might help you:

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...rol-light.html

Someone else had a similar problem you did... they replaced the Throttle Position Sensor, Pedal Position Sensor, and Cleaned the TB.

Another guy had this issue and it was just from a very dirty air filter and dirty TB.

So we can try that too.

Old 04-04-2013, 12:13 PM
tbucket101
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys/gal, all good suggestions.....With just purchasing this truck from the original owner a few months ago, I hope this turns out to be a good truck.

Per the owner just a few mins ago, nothing other than A/C work has been done to the truck and that was a cpl yrs after it was purchased new. He also said he has never changed the plugs.

In regards to the replies..I too think that the plugs need changing, just not much hope that will correct this random issue.

I never thought about grabbing connectors while the truck sits idling and seeing if I can cause the issue, will look for the PCM and do that.

I like the idea of installing the LED on the fuel side, but not sure of my technical know how on where to splice that in at. I pretty electrical savy, enough to argue with the dealer about BS "recommendations to correct the issue", but that's working/repairing the things I do all day; gas pumps. NOT tying into vehicle electrical systems, especially dealing with power source wiring for a fuel system.

Both I think it logical to say its electrical AND related to vibration, just got to figure out if its ignition electrical or fuel pressure electrical...the LED light really has me thinking that would rule out fuel pressure being the issue.

Old 04-04-2013, 12:32 PM
Izero
Champion

Change Plugs, Clean TB, Change the Throttle Position Sensor and Pedal Position Sensor.

Remember to get COPPER CORE plugs... our trucks generally do not like anything else.

Old 04-07-2013, 10:12 PM
tbucket101

Would any problems with the fuel pump and or filter NOT throw a code?? and if a malfunctioning pump or blocked filter, could it throw the trucks ETC/limp mode?

I'm gonna have to start throwing parts at it and curious about the pump/filter and the ETC light being related.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:16 AM
Izero
Champion

The ETC light will flash if the input (how far you are pushing the accelerator) and the output of the Throttle Position Sensor are not matching. So if the fuel pump is malfunctioning it will not cause the ETC light to come on.

If the ETC light is coming on then the problem is likely in the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS), or the Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor. I would start with the TPS as it is a little less expensive and the install is much easier, but I am more inclined to believe that the Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor is the real cause of your problem.

From what I can speculate without actually seeing this happen in person, is that your ETC is seeing a malfunction beyond a certain throttle input, so it immediately begins to pull timing and fuel in order to protect itself (Limp Mode) but it does not trigger a permanent Limp mode, so what you are likely getting is a temporary DTC, or more likely a "Conditional" DTC that is causing the problem. You are perceiving this as a "misfire".

Now if you were misfiring then the Check Engine Light would also flash at the same time, which means that the PCM is "forcing" the misfire.

You really need to get a data log of the Pedal Input and TPS values to see if they are matching. They should output in either percentages or from 0-1 in decimal increments. That will tell you EXACTLY which sensor is having the problem.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:58 AM
tbucket101

Truck has a new MOPAR throttle body installed-no change. From what Ive been told, the TPS is a built in sensor on the TB, if so, that would rule that part out.

As far as APPS, Ive tried to do research on this and have found posts indicating it is located under the battery box in the engine compartment and now Dodge is telling me its actually located on the pedal assembly...$179.99...

Any confirmation on the exact location of the part?.....(currently working and cannot check the pedal assembly myself)

Thanks for the input BTW, its a frustrating ordeal dealing with a random issue.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:51 AM
Izero
Champion

It should be on or near the Pedal Assembly, if you have a part number we can try and pull up a drawing of it.

http://www.rambodybuilder.com/2006/d...celocation.pdf

That link should bring you to the drawing I found that shows where the connector is, so you should be able to follow that wire to find the sensor. (use Internet Explorer to view it as Firefox and Chrome don't display it properly.)

It says that it is under the battery tray on this spreadsheet though, so you'll have to look for yourself.

Search for this term:

Sensor-Accelerator Pedal Position BK Under Battery Tray 33

Last edited by Izero; 04-08-2013 at 10:53 AM.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:03 AM
Scff
Rookie

Have you checked the knock sensors? Especially after going over a rough road, if they are loose, it can falsely read this as a knock and retard timing. Also, a faulty/loose crankshaft sensor can cause this. Also check the mass air flow sensor by running the engine and tapping on the mass airflow sensor. If it is good, the engine running quality should not change. These won't necessarily cause a check engine light to illuminate. Keep us posted.

Old 04-08-2013, 11:06 AM
Izero
Champion

Originally Posted by Scff
Have you checked the knock sensors? Especially after going over a rough road, if they are loose, it can falsely read this as a knock and retard timing. Also, a faulty/loose crankshaft sensor can cause this. Also check the mass air flow sensor by running the engine and tapping on the mass airflow sensor. If it is good, the engine running quality should not change. These won't necessarily cause a check engine light to illuminate. Keep us posted.

No Dodge Ram from 2002-2009 has a Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor....

These trucks run on Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensors and Intake Air Temp Sensors.....

Tapping the MAP Sensor likely won't have any effect.

Quick Reply: Techs are stumped by my issue....