3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Techs are stumped by my issue....

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 03:49 PM
Scff
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Izero
No Dodge Ram from 2002-2009 has a Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor....

These trucks run on Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensors and Intake Air Temp Sensors.....

Tapping the MAP Sensor likely won't have any effect.
Ok, However, map and maf essentially perform the same function. Determine engine load based on air intake. Tapping the map may reproduce the condition. I would lean toward crankshaft sensor or knock sensor though.

Old 04-08-2013, 04:06 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeahhhh well they are similar... but a MAP sensor measures the ESTIMATED air volume whereas a MAF sensor would measure the ACTUAL volume of air.

They differ fairly significantly but accomplish the same goal of allowing the PCM/ECU to determine how much fuel to add as well as other auxiliary components.

There are some pretty extensive write-ups that you should read if you are interested in custom performance tuning, as there are positives and negatives to each type of system.

Now back on track. I hope my earlier posts helps a little bit.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:03 AM
tbucket101

EVERYTHING at this point helps....its so frustrating.....yesterday, took the kids to a creek to do some fishing and we have to drive across a pasture on a dirt road that has a slope to it.....the truck would just die for no reason, sometimes the ETC would come on.....going up the hill, the truck would "cut out" and then sometimes die when stopping.....but on flat pavement or idling, its perfect......just cant figure out where to start throwing money at....the APPS is super easy to get to, but $179.99.....after that, I guess I can start throwing other sensors at it....Im just hoping after all this tossing money around, it doesn't end up being something in the fuel system. BUT everyones input is greatly appreciated and I check for comments on this all day because of the good info.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:16 AM
tbucket101

Turns out the APPS is located on the pedal assembly......what do you mean "data log"?

Old 04-09-2013, 09:35 AM
Izero
Champion

Data Logging is a method of using an advanced scan tool that can pick up each input and output of all of the sensors that are in the truck.

By logging this information on a spreadsheet we would be able to see if the APPS is indeed giving false outputs.

If I was you, I would try disconnecting it and then reconnecting it, as it might be as simple as a loose connection that the "rough roads" are causing a disconnect.

From all that you've described this far I am 90% sure the APPS is the culprit here, and that is where I would throw my $ first.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:40 AM
tbucket101

Izero....you mentioned that this sensor is located under the battery box, but per the dealer, its located on the pedal.....is it the same sensor you are talking about?....just want to make sure there isn't a sensor under the battery box I need to focus on.

Also, this morning while the truck was parked, I slightly reved the truck up with my hand and wiggled the harness in hopes that I could get it to act up, nothing.....but will try replacing the sensor this weekend hopefully.

Thanks for your input.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:38 AM
Izero
Champion

I'm just going off of the manuals that I found for it.

I posted links to it, so I would just double check.

Either way when you get the new one you should be able to tell is the one you saw above the pedals is the same as the one you've got, and if it isn't then you know it is indeed under the battery tray.

Keep us posted buddy!

Old 04-23-2013, 10:21 PM
tbucket101

Well after get fed up with the issue, I remembered the suggestion of reseating the APPS pigtail so I did and going on 4 days, no issues.....keeping my fingers crossed.

Quick Reply: Techs are stumped by my issue....