3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

A/C Compressor always on! Lines freeze??

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 08:42 PM
Dodgerman97
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Compressor always on! Lines freeze??

Ok so far in my 2003 dodge ram 1500 I've replaced the a/c drier, recharged the lines with perfect amount of freon, replaced blower motor, and blower motor resister. Still my compressor always stays on when the truck is running (and I have NO leaks anywhere), and when the a/c is OFF the lines under the hood completely freeze with almost a quarter inch thick ice. lol no mechanic I've taken it to has been able to figure this out yet. Anyone heard of this or had this problem?

Old 04-02-2013, 10:34 PM
BigSloth
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So it stays on even with the AC button toggled off?

If thats the case, either something is telling the AC compressor clutch to remain energized all the time, or the clutch is locked up in the on position. Locate the relay for the AC compressor clutch and pull it out, if the compressor continues running the clutch is locked up and the compressor needs to be replaced.

If the compressor stops, the clutch works but something is giving it power constantly.

Quick Reply: A/C Compressor always on! Lines freeze??