3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Steering components

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 04:43 PM
FlameRed1500
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering components

I have a 04 ram 1500 with a rough country 6" lift. Before i installed lift i checked with ram dealership about installation costs and they said they woudnt install unless i had lower ball joints replaced as well. I took the truck to my mechanic and he installed but did not replace lower ball joints. When i looked at joints the boots were cracked and all inside was dry. Just recently had them replaced and my mechanic said one joint was severely bent. I also had the alignment done not to long ago and tk said they could not fix casper. However it seems to me that my outer tie rods are angled now causing them to imbed into the bushing directly under it. Im guessing that the 6" lift caused that. Im thinking of replacing both control arms and inner and outer tie rods. The truck still drifts to the right and i hear creaking at slow speeds comming from under front of truck. Would replacing just those parts give me a more flawless and smoother suspension? Or do i need to replace something else with or without these parts?

Last edited by FlameRed1500; 04-29-2013 at 04:46 PM.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:22 AM
rought
Professional

Don’t rule out the rack and pinion for the squeak I replaced all my tie rods, ball joints and stabilizer to find out it was my rack and pinion..

keep in mind all vehicles are suposed to go to the right a bit Incase the driver falls asleep

Check the alignment yourself like in this video as for the drift. it works well

Last edited by rought; 04-30-2013 at 08:25 AM.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:56 AM
FlameRed1500
Amateur

Rack and pinion im sure i would fel directly in steering wheel if it was loose or bad. I think the creeking noise is my sway bar links from RC. As for the actual drifting...tire kingdom said they could not adjust casper and the tow is out. So im thinking replacing inner and outer tie rods along with new control arms should give me a better shot with the alignment. I failed to mention earlier that i bold two 35" tires in 4 months. Its not an actual drift but when in foward motion at 45mph and no hands the truck falls right rather quickly.

Quick Reply: Steering components