3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Start Me Up...

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 07:05 PM
MarXzies
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah you def got a drain somewhere. I would disconnect the stereo part completely and zip tie it out of the way or remove it if you don't intend to use it. The third brake light is a good place to check too. Hopefully you find the problem soon.

Old 05-02-2013, 12:24 AM
AKCallahan
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Izero
Keep us posted... If you still have battery problems tomorrow, we will try to test for a parasitic drain somewhere...
Battery got its charging...was able to start it while the battery charger was still connected, and didn't show any problems once the battery charger was disconnected from the battery terminals. Ran a few errands that didn't include turning off the truck then got to a friend's house down the road from me. Turned the truck off...all is good...then go to leave and it won't start. Same situation as shown in the video. My friend used a volt meter, and read 10V from the battery (mind you, this is within an hour of taking it off the charger) My buddy jumped me, only taking one try to turn my truck on, and I came home..

As far as the stereo is concerned..the stereo is ONLY on when the truck is. When the truck is on acc, the stereo is wired to not come on. I've had this truck since October, and only found this battery issue causing a pain since about mid-march.

Last edited by AKCallahan; 05-02-2013 at 12:28 AM.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:17 AM
cuda19791
Rookie

Originally Posted by AKCallahan
Battery got its charging...was able to start it while the battery charger was still connected, and didn't show any problems once the battery charger was disconnected from the battery terminals. Ran a few errands that didn't include turning off the truck then got to a friend's house down the road from me. Turned the truck off...all is good...then go to leave and it won't start. Same situation as shown in the video. My friend used a volt meter, and read 10V from the battery (mind you, this is within an hour of taking it off the charger) My buddy jumped me, only taking one try to turn my truck on, and I came home..

As far as the stereo is concerned..the stereo is ONLY on when the truck is. When the truck is on acc, the stereo is wired to not come on. I've had this truck since October, and only found this battery issue causing a pain since about mid-march.
I would disconnect the battery charge it again and see how many volts it has it should have 12.6 fully charged. If it has at least 12.6 hook it back up and check for a parasitic drain. If your battery discharged so much it would not start your truck within one hour it would have to have one hell of a parasitic drain. If it had 10 volts when your friend checked it within an hour of charging it I would replace the battery.

Old 05-02-2013, 12:02 PM
AKCallahan
Professional

Originally Posted by cuda19791
If your battery discharged so much it would not start your truck within one hour it would have to have one hell of a parasitic drain. If it had 10 volts when your friend checked it within an hour of charging it I would replace the battery.
My thoughts exactly.. This is the second time it's been fully charged, started the truck, then failed to start it a second time a short time later.

Old 05-02-2013, 01:18 PM
abarmby
Champion

Look.....please change the battery. Borrow or steal one (no better not do the later lol) but put another battery on there.
That's the much easier way to see if your original battery is no good.
You can recharge a defective battery and all appears good. But when you put a load on it or return to start your truck, if there's one or several defective cells it will discharge with no parasitic drain at all and not have enough charge in it to turn the truck over.
Al.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:14 PM
AKCallahan
Professional

Originally Posted by abarmby
Look.....please change the battery. Borrow or steal one (no better not do the later lol) but put another battery on there.
You can recharge a defective battery and all appears good. But when you put a load on it or return to start your truck, if there's one or several defective cells it will discharge with no parasitic drain at all and not have enough charge in it to turn the truck over.
Al.
Well hell Al...sounds like a plan. Thanks!

Old 05-03-2013, 10:26 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Al.
I have to agree this sounds more and more like a bad battery cell.

It's worth the $80+/- to change it, and know for sure.

Old 05-03-2013, 12:33 PM
abarmby
Champion

Can you borrow a battery as a trial, to fault find??
Al.

Old 05-03-2013, 01:14 PM
AKCallahan
Professional

Originally Posted by Izero
I have to agree this sounds more and more like a bad battery cell.

It's worth the $80+/- to change it, and know for sure.
More like $100+...

Can you borrow a battery as a trial, to fault find??
Al.
As far as my understanding is, the battery has be purchased to be hooked up to a customer's vehicle.

Old 05-03-2013, 01:55 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AKCallahan
More like $100+...

As far as my understanding is, the battery has be purchased to be hooked up to a customer's vehicle.

I think he means "borrow" a friends battery... lol

Either way go buy a battery and let us know whats up.

Quick Reply: Start Me Up...