3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Help with leveling and wacky dealer

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2005, 07:00 AM
theshark
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with leveling and wacky dealer

First post for me

I just had a truxxx leveling kit installed on my new 2005 RAM 4x4 QC hemi, at a car accessory shop. When I bought the kit from this place and paid them to install it, I was told that I had to buy 2" longer front shocks. Although this seemed logical, I asked the sales guy why and his response was along the lines that if I left the factory shocks on I would destroy my trucks suspension. So fair enough I left them my truck and money. When I went back to pickup my RAM, the sales guy explains that they were out of the shocks so he was going to credit my credit card back for the shocks and thier installation. This is when I started to wonder if I had picked the wrong shop. After telling me that I had to buy new shocks, all of a sudden when the shop doesn't have them to sell, the shocks suddenly do not become necessary!!!??? I asked the bozo, "if the shocks were so important why did you go ahead and level my truck?" He told me that changing out the shocks for longer ones was not necessary and the reason he didn't call to let me know that they did not have the longer shocks was cuz he was afraid that if he told me that they were out of the shocks I would cancell on the leveling part of the job. Obviouly, I had to really prevent myself from coming unglued. After controlling myself I had these people order me the shocks, of course at a discount and free installation.

When I checked out the leveling job that they did on my truck with the oem shocks it looked great, I mean I was really impressed. Although it seemed that the front end still sat a hair lower than the rear, but I though this would raise up after they put the new longer shocks in. The shop told me to come in a week later and they would install the new shocks. Well today I had the shocks put in and guess what, it seems that the truck is no longer level and the front end is lower than before I had the shocks put on!!! Actually the truck looks almost like I didn't even buy a leveling kit.

Am I crazy or could this be possible.

Could it be possible that the installer did not notice that it had a leveling kit on it and adjusted my bars to factory settings?

Should I take it back to these clowns or go somewhere else to have the kit put on right?

Thanks for the help in advance!!!

Old 09-23-2005, 11:14 AM
mpd2436
Professional
Default RE: Help with leveling and wacky dealer

I had the same thing done 4-6 months ago. I needed the longer shocks because my stock ones would top out when hitting potholes. That would eventually destroy my stock shocks.
The longer shocks will not raise your truck. After adjusting my torsion bars I drove it for a week then checked it. It had settled as I suspected it would. I then readjusted the torsion bars so the front was level. No problems at all since then. Just installing the torsion keys will raise your truck more than stock. I don't see how it looks like it's at stock height just because they installed your new shocks. You may just need to have the bars adjusted more. Make sure you get the alignment checked also, mine was slightly off. Hope this helps. What brand of shock did they install?

Old 09-23-2005, 02:49 PM
theshark

Thanks for the reply!

As you said, I didn't really think that the new Rancho RS5000 #RS5283 would raise the trucks front end. I thought that they would finish adjusting the leveling kit after they put on the new shocks. I'm sure that it is taller then stock only it seems that they need to be raised. I am just afraid that when I take it back these guys are going to crank the torson keys so high out of malice that I may end up having a damaged suspension down the road!!!

I was also under the impression that I should drive the truck for about a week before I get the alighment done just so everything has time to level.

BTW I also had the rear factory shocks replaced at another place(probobly where I should have gone first) with some RS5000 #RS5274 which are the stock height for the rear shocks.

Should I go back to these guys and have them crank the torsion bar. This time I will mesuare the front from the ground to the bottom inside of the wheel wells.

Thanks for the help!!

Old 09-24-2005, 05:16 PM
mpd2436
Professional

You can do it yourself if you want to. You just need to take the weight off of the torsion bars by raising the truck (jackstands) then adjust the screws. If you don't feel comfortable doing this any shop can do it in a few minutes. Make sure you measure both sides and adjust accordingly. I had to adjust one side slightly more then the other but there exact now.
If I could get my camera working again i'd post pics. I installed Bilsteins shocks front and back and actually have a better ride now than before.

Old 10-02-2005, 12:06 PM
aviator

You can use factory XX-01 shocks. They are 2" longer than 02+ and they will bolt right on. Don't waste your money on "leveling kits". They do the same thing as turning the bolts. All they are is a spacer between the bolt an the TB key, the bolt still has the same tension on them as if you turned them. If the bolts were shorter you would need them, but the stock bolts are long enough to raise the front end at least 3" (probably more).

Old 10-26-2007, 12:25 AM
kx250frider617
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wut they did is probably went to align the front and and found out the camber adjustment was already maxxed out so they were forced to bring it back down to get the wheels perfectley aligned. Thats what happened to me.

Old 10-26-2007, 07:30 AM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The shop I talked to said I would not need longer shocks (~2" lift). Shocks don't support the truck. That's done by the springs. The shocks only control wheel motion.

Quick Reply: Help with leveling and wacky dealer